Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

This is NOT a Love Letter- Kat's Review of Murdered: Soul Suspect (360)

Game Review | June 5, 2014 2:48 am
Dear Murdered: Soul Suspect,

This should be a love letter. I should be your biggest fan. I am crazy about detective games, I’ve devoured every CSI and Sherlock Holmes game with glee, and I would be the first to jump on a “Make a sequel to NCIS” petition bandwagon. Actually, I literally might be the first for that. When I first saw the trailer Square had released for you, I was really excited. I watched it a bunch of times. I posted it on this site. I made my kids watch it. I made my mom watch it. A game where you use detective skills and ghost powers to solve your own murder. FANTASTIC. And I wanted you. I wanted you bad. Even when I played through Thief (*review incoming soon*) and saw what a huge disappointment it was, how unfinished it was, and realized that it shared a publisher with you, I still wanted to believe. So maybe I couldn’t believe with the same intensity I had felt prior to Thief (and I admit, I did decide to Redbox the 360 copy rather than buy the Xbox One copy) but the yearning was real, man. The yearning was real.

This is NOT a love letter, though. I didn’t get my happy ending. I suppose a game that operates on the premise of a dead detective solving his own murder doesn’t deserve a happy ending. But still… I deserved better than this.

This is NOT a love letter

~XBA staff writer, Kat, regarding a letter to Murdered: Soul Suspect
Seriously... just up there ^

The story maybe wasn’t the most original idea, but it was fairly unique. Solve detective Ronan O'Connor's murder from the other side of the grave. But as the story unfolded, it strained credibility. Solve the murder? He was investigating a murder without backup and the murderer killed him. That’s about as cut and dried as it comes, isn’t it? “Oh-ho-ho don’t worry, Kat,” you seemed to promise. “The story will get more interesting and complicated as it goes on.” And if you change the word complicated to convoluted, it definitely did. There’s no easy way to say this, M:SS, but you… are camp. Your blatant attacks on my emotions as I played were as choreographed as a soap opera slap. Your plot twist at the end… well, actually I admit it- you got me with that one. And while I love camp; I adore the overdone plot and unashamedly over the top ghost stories and overdramatic side-quests you presented me with, I’m not sure that was actually your intention. Besides, I love soap operas in general, but I’m decidedly not a game developer’s target audience.

Your characters varied from uninspired to downright unrootable. I know I was supposed to love the sainted Julia as much as Ronan did, but all those journal entries she left around town really made her look like a selfish spoiled idiot, not a grown woman, and not a woman deserving of the adulation she was apparently showered with by everyone she encountered in her life. Actually, by the end of the game, I was left with only one character that I could even stand. And it wasn't Ronan, by the way, even though you detailed every minutiae of his past to show how I should love him just as much as Julia. He was bad, but then he turned good. And who can't identify with a guy who loves his wife this much? I’m not a very nice person, and him telling a 14 year old girl to STFU about her missing mom because his wife had been dead for 3 years (as he is also currently dead) and then calling her a bitch was about all I could take of him. Seriously? This is the protagonist you're giving me? I'm supposed to want to help him?

Actually, they're that one couple on Facebook that you f-ing hate because they think they're so cute and perfect and the only couple in the history of ever. -_-

The ability to jump into people’s heads and read their thoughts could have been a good idea- but everyone in Salem only gets 2 thoughts- and they all come from a bank of 10 total thoughts. The most interesting ghosts I came across, the ones that I wanted to be able to help, turned out to not be helpable. I guess Ronan hit his limit with the 3 or 4 he actually does help. So some of the story just doesn’t make a lot of sense, even after completing the game.

The setting of Salem for a story about ghosts was a good thought, but is Salem actually that small? And as fascinating as I find the Salem Witch Trials, less collectibles to find regarding them, and more side stories to solve for them would have been a better choice. I do think you deserve props, though, for not having the obligatory asylum level be an abandoned, haunted, terrifying level. Chalk that up as one cliché your gravelly-voiced, tattooed, smart ass, lone-wolf, bad-guy-turned-cop tortured by his wife’s death didn’t have to experience.

I know it’s my own fault for getting this game on 360, but did the graphics really have to be so bad? The character models are terrible, there are a total of 4 NPCs just reused over and over throughout the town, and everything really has such a distinct last gen feel. I’d say maybe it’s just because it was a 360 copy, but I’ve seen pictures from next gen and it isn’t much better. Sadface. But with these remedial graphics, could you at least tell me why it played so poorly? Pop in, stuttering, loading screens, bad texture mapping, and flickering edges were fairly common in my game, and I frequently bumped into edges that shouldn’t have been where they were. The demons in the game were pretty cool looking… Although they highlight one of the weakest parts of the game.

Actually, they didn't look this good on 360

The gameplay in general should have been better. First and foremost, you’re a detective game, M:SS, and you should have provided more challenging puzzles for at home sleuths to complete! Instead, most of the puzzles were really just common sense solutions dragged out to make it feel more like players were doing any actual detective work. For instance, the first side quest I found was a dead girl looking for her body. I told her I’d help her and she said the people who murdered her were old. I went to the apartment of the only old people I had seen, and big floating letters told me I was in the right place. Reading the old lady’s mind said (paraphrasing) that she had killed the girl for partying too loud, her husband had driven 5 miles away to the location the body was disposed of, and *boom* mystery solved, right? But that’s one clue. There were 6 more clues, all either unhelpful or just the same information from a different source, and in the end I went back and told the ghost the information I extrapolated from the first person I talked to. Other great examples are when I was asked “what information do I have that could tell me where the witness was headed?” and one of the options was something like “witnesses destination” or something along those lines. Sometimes, yes you tripped me up, but because I was overthinking and trying to be clever, not because of any great difficulty on your part.

The controls really took away from the gameplay as well. When I possessed a cat and was trying to get to high areas, often the jump wouldn’t trigger (because there wasn’t actually a jump button- there was a run/action button, much like Thief) and the poor cat would run head first into a box.

But on the plus side... you get to play as a cat! :)

When I tried to attack a demon (see, you knew I was going to come back to this, right?) if the angle was wrong or my timing was wrong, he’d see me and I’d have to scamper off, play a 10 minute game of “Where’s Ronan?” and eventually come back and try it again. Or die. And sadly, that was also an option. Not only were the demons the only actual action part of you- even though you had a distinct action feel- they were the only really scary part of the game- even though you had a distinctly survival horror feel- and you ended up being pretty formulaic by the end, and not far off from a regular point and click detective game. Well- except that you didn’t really let us do much real detecting. So really… honestly… I guess you were a decent movie that player controlled sequences kind of got in the way of. Quel dommage.

Besides fighting the controls, the part of you that was difficult was what should have been the most simple- just collecting items. A lot of the items glowed, and that was easy. Other items weren’t fully in the world, and had to be revealed first, and then collected. That was irritating. I could have handled 50 or 100 of those, but there are hundreds of these collectibles- back stories for each character you come across, ghost stories for each area you’re in, Salem history information… and it’s a bit overwhelming. Is this a thing now? Putting out a short game and enhancing it by hiding tiny items in every nook and cranny? Maybe it wouldn’t have been too bad if you could go back after finishing the game and get any that you missed- maybe you’ve heard of this? Level select, or even just having a checkpoint before the point of no return that the game reverts to after you complete it? But obviously you haven’t heard of this, because I’m missing one collectible for 6 or 7 different categories, which puts me 7 or 8 achievements away from completing the game, but to do it I have to go all the way back through and start all over. Knowing me, I’d just miss different collectibles the 2nd time through.

Do you know why it’s so hard to find them all? Because your damn city is a maze. I’m pretty sure buildings and walls move during the play through just to mess with people. It’s a tiny rendering of Salem, how can it be so hard? I spent 10 hours in the city and still couldn’t find my way around. And I know it isn’t me, people on other forums have complained that the map they got access to for preordering was wrong. Buildings wrong, collectibles in the wrong place… Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. Get it together, dude!

One thing you really did right was your voice acting. They fit the game perfectly. Seriously. The sounds in general were pretty good- not exemplary. The demons screams kind of fit well with their scary appearance but annoying reality, and the sound cues to let you know when they had stopped looking for you were a nice touch. The rest of the sounds were pretty nondescript, which I think worked well because they weren’t distracting.

So all in all- not the worst way to spend 10 hours. Ten hours???? I can’t believe I waited so long for 10 hours. And besides going back and RE-collecting all the collectibles, there’s not a single reason to play again. That’s a bummer. And again, throwing in some kind of mission select or checkpoint to go back to get collectibles would have changed that a bit.

TL; DR? I’ll summarize, you jerk. I guess what you should take away from my letter to you is... You’re a disappointment. I don’t mind campy stories, short games, or collectibles per se… but I expected better from you. I expected you to blow my mind, keep me up at night, and make me really think hard about Ronan and how to solve his case. But you shied away from difficulty, shied away from the really interesting stories you could have told, and shied away from basically every genre that you seemed to want to be classified as. You seemed to not know whether you took yourself seriously or not, and because of that, I’m not really sure how to take you. I will think about this game, and I’ll probably play it again- because once decent collectible guides come out, this is going to be a really easy completion, and it’ll clock in at 7-8 hours if you know what you’re doing- for Xbox One. But most of what I’ll think about is how many opportunities you missed, and how great you could have been. The saddest part is that even after writing this, listing out all your flaws, fresh off a play through, I want so bad to give you an 8. Even a 7. But I can't. You're average. No matter what I was hoping for you to be.

Take care of yourself,
Kat

Relationship summary:
Plot- 6/10
Graphics- 5/10
Gameplay- 5/10
Audio- 8/10
Length/Replay Value- 4/10

OVERALL (not an average):

5/10- STILL A BETTER LOVE STORY THAN TWILIGHT!!!

Rating: 5.0 of 10
Keywords: None

Options:
Archived: Article Discussion: This is NOT a Love Letter- Kat's Review of Murdered: Soul Suspect (360)

Posted Under: Articles
Re: This is NOT a Love Letter- Kat's Review of Murdered: Soul Suspect (360)
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

This user has won three or more gamerscore competitions.

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 150,000 or higher.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

This user has performed some sort of miscellaneous service for Xbox America that deserves to be recognized.

Lmao is that lady like 50? Solid review kat! I personally think it is in the 6-7 range so far.
Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

This is a staff member of Xbox America

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Googler
Googler

Technically my average is 5.6, so almost 6, but I dropped the .6 because the inability to go back and get collectibles blows.
Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Benefactor
Xbox America Benefactor

This user has donated $50+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Waffle Philanthropist
Waffle Philanthropist

This user has donated three or more games to the Waffle Order thread.

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Marketer
Marketer

This user has referred five users to Xbox America.

Master Marketer
Master Marketer

This user has referred ten users to Xbox America.

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

This user mentioned Xbox America in his Xbox Live biography.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Community Player
Community Player

This gamer participated in Xbox America's Xbox.com Community Playdate.

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

This user has participated in a Xbox America beta test.

Another excellent review, Kat. This confirmed every negative suspicion I had.

I do have 2 comments though:

A) "they're that couple you hate on facebook because they think they are so cute and perfect and the only couple in history ever" --do you have any idea how bitter and miserable this makes you sound?? lololololololo :laugh:

B) "quel dommage" --you're banned for using this phrase. Que verguenza. :no:

Also, can you say more about the demons without spoiling things for people actually interested in this POS? Why are they there, what are they exactly, do you fight them or ?
Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Googler
Googler

They're described as souls that were searching for closure but lost their way, basically. They're pretty much dementors, they suck your lemony essence if they see you. You don't fight them, exactly, you have to sneak up behind them and grab them and do a button combo that's basically an exorcism. They aren't actually connected to the plot, so none of this is spoilers, lol.

Oh, side note- if this had been an intentionally goofy $20 release along the lines of deadly premonition, the numbers would be different. It really is fun, and I really did have a hard time putting a number to it. Part of me thinks 5 is just too low, but it's not a bad rating, it's just average. Congratulations, you did your job. If it had been longer or more polished, it would have scored higher, but why the heck did we have to wait so long for this?

I'll write up something on the xb1 version when I pick that up. I think graphics and bugs might rate higher.
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

This user has performed some sort of miscellaneous service for Xbox America that deserves to be recognized.

I don't think you will ever see square discount their games because of their square side losing and spending money at the rate it does.
Re: Re: This is NOT a Love Letter- Kat's Review of Murdered: Soul Suspect (360)
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Quote by Kat:

They're described as souls that were searching for closure but lost their way, basically. They're pretty much dementors, they suck your lemony essence if they see you. You don't fight them, exactly, you have to sneak up behind them and grab them and do a button combo that's basically an exorcism. They aren't actually connected to the plot, so none of this is spoilers, lol.

Oh, side note- if this had been an intentionally goofy $20 release along the lines of deadly premonition, the numbers would be different. It really is fun, and I really did have a hard time putting a number to it. Part of me thinks 5 is just too low, but it's not a bad rating, it's just average. Congratulations, you did your job. If it had been longer or more polished, it would have scored higher, but why the heck did we have to wait so long for this?

I'll write up something on the xb1 version when I pick that up. I think graphics and bugs might rate higher.

This game looks great on PS4. Not ran into any glitches yet but i'm not far. It's interesting you rated this the same score as that shitty Adventure Time debacle. But then again maybe they phoned in the 360 version.
Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Googler
Googler

I think a 5 might be my go to score for games that have left me tragically disappointed.

I'll definitely pick up the xbox one version and revisit this review or do a new one depending on how different it is. I wouldn't be surprised if they did phone in the 360 version, but that is shitty because until recently they weren't even planning next gen for Murdered. So you'd think the last gen games would be polished and the next gen games would be thrown together.
Weekly Competition Winner

This user won the most recent weekly Gamerscore Competition. This award travels from winner to winner.

Competition Pro
Competition Pro

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

3 Year Login Streak
3 Year Login Streak

This user has logged in to Xbox America every day for the past three years.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Head of State
Head of State

This user has one of the highest gamerscores in his or her region.

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Marketer
Marketer

Representin'
Representin'

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

I made the 50,000th post
I made the 50,000th post

This award was rewarded to the user that posted Xbox America's 50,000th post.

Great review! 1 word Redbox preferably with a discount code.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

spot on, I was actually thinking of buying it when i get my One, but I'm really glad i Redboxed it, had it 100%'ed before i was hit with another $2. So much potential, so many possibly awesome mechanics, it feels like they just gave up midway through.
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

I may redbox the 360 version for another easy 1k.

This user won the most recent weekly Gamerscore Competition. This award travels from winner to winner.

Competition Pro
Competition Pro

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

3 Year Login Streak
3 Year Login Streak

This user has logged in to Xbox America every day for the past three years.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Head of State
Head of State

This user has one of the highest gamerscores in his or her region.

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Marketer
Marketer

Representin'
Representin'

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

I made the 50,000th post
I made the 50,000th post

This award was rewarded to the user that posted Xbox America's 50,000th post.

I am enjoying the game as well only struggle is missing a few collectables and not sure where to look

Deleted User

1 17654
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.