Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Court: "Calif. Can't ban violent video game sales"

News | June 27, 2011 2:52 pm
The Supreme Court on Monday refused to let California regulate the sale or rental of violent video games to children, saying governments do not have the power to "restrict the ideas to which children may be exposed" despite complaints about graphic violence.

On a 7-2 vote, the high court upheld a federal appeals court decision to throw out the state's ban on the sale or rental of violent video games to minors. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Sacramento had ruled that the law violated minors' rights under the First Amendment, and the high court agreed.

"No doubt a state possesses legitimate power to protect children from harm," said Justice Antonin Scalia, who wrote the majority opinion. "But that does not include a free-floating power to restrict the ideas to which children may be exposed."

The California law would have prohibited the sale or rental of violent games to anyone under 18. Retailers who violated the act would have been fined up to $1,000 for each infraction.

More than 46 million American households have at least one video-game system, with the industry bringing in at least $18 billion in 2010.

Unlike depictions of "sexual conduct," Scalia said there is no tradition in the United States of restricting children's access to depictions of violence, pointing out the violence in the original depiction of many popular children's fairy tales like Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella and Snow White.

Hansel and Gretel kill their captor by baking her in an oven, Cinderella's evil stepsisters have their eyes pecked out by doves and the evil queen in Snow White is forced to wear red hot slippers and dance until she is dead, Scalia said.

"Certainly the books we give children to read — or read to them when they are younger — contain no shortage of gore," Scalia added.

But Justice Clarence Thomas, who dissented from the decision along with Justice Stephen Breyer, said the majority read something into the First Amendment that isn't there.

"The practices and beliefs of the founding generation establish that "the freedom of speech," as originally understood, does not include a right to speak to minors (or a right of minors to access speech) without going through the minors' parents or guardians," Thomas wrote.
(Source: http://www.yahoo.com)
Keywords: None

Options:
Archived: Article Discussion: Court: "Calif. Can't ban violent video game sales"

Posted Under: Xbox News
Re: Court: "Calif. Can't ban violent video game sales"
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

This user has won three or more gamerscore competitions.

Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

This is a staff member of Xbox America

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Benefactor
Xbox America Benefactor

This user has donated $50+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 150,000 or higher.

3 Year Login Streak
3 Year Login Streak

This user has logged in to Xbox America every day for the past three years.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Head of State
Head of State

This user has one of the highest gamerscores in his or her region.

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Waffle Philanthropist
Waffle Philanthropist

This user has donated three or more games to the Waffle Order thread.

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Marketer
Marketer

This user has referred five users to Xbox America.

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

This user mentioned Xbox America in his Xbox Live biography.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

The thing I find the most amusing about this whole thing is how the bill was structured. It was horrible. I actually read some of the court excerpts months ago and seriously thought that the ones defending the bill were the ones who were against it!

I'm all for trying to keep overly violent games out of the hands of minors but this bill was just stupid. No where in it did it prevent that from happening, the parents could still allow it and frankly just put the burden on the people selling the games. Not to mention the fact that not all 'M' rated games would have had this rule, only select ones, and the stipulations for that happening were just ignorant as well.

Its clear to me that the people who made/supported this bill have never played a video game in their entire lives.

Deleted User

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

I'll be honest and admit I haven't read the bill but I've heard of several similar attempts across the country. What I don't get though is why the hell are they allowing a 12 year old kid to go out and buy these extremly gory and violent games? They can't go out and buy an R rated movie where they say fuck twice in it (you can only drop it once in a PG-13 movie), why should they be able to go buy something where they controll this when they can't buy a movie where they just simply watch it.

And yes Mellissa your right, minors are the responsibility of their parents untill they hit 18, basically their property so they actually have no rights.
Re: Re: Re: Court: "Calif. Can't ban violent video game sales"
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

This user has performed some sort of miscellaneous service for Xbox America that deserves to be recognized.

Quote by Melissa Evol:

Quote by Minioger:

The thing I find the most amusing about this whole thing is how the bill was structured. It was horrible. I actually read some of the court excerpts months ago and seriously thought that the ones defending the bill were the ones who were against it!

I'm all for trying to keep overly violent games out of the hands of minors but this bill was just stupid. No where in it did it prevent that from happening, the parents could still allow it and frankly just put the burden on the people selling the games. Not to mention the fact that not all 'M' rated games would have had this rule, only select ones, and the stipulations for that happening were just ignorant as well.

Its clear to me that the people who made/supported this bill have never played a video game in their entire lives.

IDK-- I read the bill, read the transcripts of the arguments... and I'm just disappointed by it. It could have been better, but in all honesty, passing it wouldn't have changed anything- it's really no more effective than Gamestop's current policy of needing an ID from an adult to purchase M games (there's just no revenue going to CA right now from violations)... and I don't have to feel like a pervert going behind a curtain to buy games now. ;)

But I do absolutely agree that the 1st amendment shouldn't apply in this case- labeling and controlling sales isn't controlling speech, and minors aren't covered by the constitution, anyway. Pretty sure they're considered the property of their parents for 18 years. ;p There were a million other platforms that the opposition could have taken.

Lol I've never been ID'd and I'm constantly buying M-Rated games.
Bioshock 1&2
Dragon Age
L.A. Noire
etc...

Businesses, video game/movie retailers for this matter, don't really care about age. I assure you if an 8 year old walked into a Gamestop to get a game Like Grand Theft Auto, they wouldn't hesitate to take the money, money is money, simple economics. Although that's not really how it is. The workers just don't give a damn. I would know, my nephew bought it for his PS3 ;).

Oh, I'm no one's property :p.

Deleted User

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Court: "Calif. Can't ban violent video game sales"
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

This user has performed some sort of miscellaneous service for Xbox America that deserves to be recognized.

Quote by Melissa Evol:

Quote by Daniel:

Lol I've never been ID'd and I'm constantly buying M-Rated games.
Bioshock 1&2
Dragon Age
L.A. Noire
etc...

Businesses, video game/movie retailers for this matter, don't really care about age. I assure you if an 8 year old walked into a Gamestop to get a game Like Grand Theft Auto, they wouldn't hesitate to take the money, money is money, simple economics. Although that's not really how it is. The workers just don't give a damn. I would know, my nephew bought it for his PS3 ;).

Oh, I'm no one's property :p.

I've been carded at every gamestop I've been to in the last 3 years (across 4 different states). Walmart doesn't give a crap, but I've seen gamestop employees make kids go get their parents from their cars to buy M games. IDK, maybe it's just Texas where they don't have those rules, but according to the kid that tried to flatter me and pretend that he didn't believe I was 18 even after looking at my license, it's gamestop policy to card everyone who buys an M game and they can get in trouble if they don't.

Selling to minors without parental consent is bad business, though. It just takes one pissed off mom to start a shitstorm (just ask people who played the new MOH how playing as the Taliban went).

Texas does have the rules, they're just not enforced.

If the parents who drive up to the store with their children don't even care enough to monitor the games their children buy, do they really have a reason to bitch at the employees for selling it to them? They're just there to earn (Using that word loosely) their check, no more usually.

You're of legal age? I always thought you were 17 ;).
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Court: "Calif. Can't ban violent video game sales"
Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Quote by Daniel:

Quote by Melissa Evol:

I've been carded at every gamestop I've been to in the last 3 years (across 4 different states). Walmart doesn't give a crap, but I've seen gamestop employees make kids go get their parents from their cars to buy M games. IDK, maybe it's just Texas where they don't have those rules, but according to the kid that tried to flatter me and pretend that he didn't believe I was 18 even after looking at my license, it's gamestop policy to card everyone who buys an M game and they can get in trouble if they don't.

Selling to minors without parental consent is bad business, though. It just takes one pissed off mom to start a shitstorm (just ask people who played the new MOH how playing as the Taliban went).

If the parents who drive up to the store with their children don't even care enough to monitor the games their children buy, do they really have a reason to bitch at the employees for selling it to them? They're just there to earn (Using that word loosely) their check, no more usually.

Thats not the case Daniel, if the parent is there with the child the employee is obligated to sell the game, its parental permission and legally he is selling it to the parent but he will still have to see an ID over 18.

Plus the problem will be kids that go off on their own and buy these games, hell I'd walk to the videostore when I was thirteen and get games with my friends, no one knew what we were going to buy, we didn't even know untill we got there, the parents won't always be there to monitor the sale, especially when kids are between 14-18 when they and their friends can drive.

I'm shocked your gamestop employees don't check ID's mine are so inept I got carded when buying an E rated game, poor guy got some shit from me after that.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Court: "Calif. Can't ban violent video game sales"
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

Quote by WyoChuck:

Quote by Daniel:

Thats not the case Daniel, if the parent is there with the child the employee is obligated to sell the game, its parental permission and legally he is selling it to the parent but he will still have to see an ID over 18.

Plus the problem will be kids that go off on their own and buy these games, hell I'd walk to the videostore when I was thirteen and get games with my friends, no one knew what we were going to buy, we didn't even know untill we got there, the parents won't always be there to monitor the sale, especially when kids are between 14-18 when they and their friends can drive.

I'm shocked your gamestop employees don't check ID's mine are so inept I got carded when buying an E rated game, poor guy got some shit from me after that.

What I meant, If the child is in the store, and the parent is in the car waiting doing nothing instead of monitoring the game their child buys, and the employee still sells it to the underage child. Do the parents reserve a right to bitch at the Employee even though they did not bother to monitor their child. Man the way I say it makes it sound like it doesn't happen, when it happens so many times.

But In my opinion no.

What can I say, Texas (or at least the part I'm from) just doesn't care. At least every time I go, maybe the world changes when I leave :confused:.
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Community Player
Community Player

This gamer participated in Xbox America's Xbox.com Community Playdate.

When I worked at Gamestop all my managers said if a person looked under 30 I had to card them. I didnt always do it though. Also, if you looked over 18 enough and you didnt have ID when I ask... I would just say fuck it, its cool.

But if you did look under 18 you better have that ID! I didnt care how much you bitched about being over 18. :rofl:

And when kids accompanied by their parents brought M rated games to the counter, we always had to "warn" them and ask if it was okay lol. I remember this one dude and his kid brought Halo 3 up to me. I told him it was rated M, and he spazzed on his kid to put it back. I explained that it wasnt that bad, its just humans killing aliens. He looked me in the eye for 5 seconds... and the at the top of lungs screamed: "I AM A FUCKING CHRISTIAN! I dont let my kids play that garbage!". Normally I would have been stunned and stayed silent, but I just LOL'd so fucking hard in his face. He then stormed out the store. It was epic.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 150,000 or higher.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Funny how i can go into a store and buy a bottle of Jack Daniels and never be carded, yet every time i am dumb enough to go to gamestop to buy a game, i am carded. Does that say its okay to drink but its not okay to buy a violent game without being hassled for it?? I'm 34 years old, i shouldn't have to deal with that shit. I never liked their idea do this anyway. I'm all for the parent doing their job and paying attention to what their child does, not the goverment, be it state or federal. To much parental responsibility is pushed off on someone else other than the childs parents. In my opinion parents in general are just getting lazy in their jobs of raising their children. I have a 4 year old boy and i know everything he has. I don't allow certain things and have even returned gits he's recieved because he is to young for them. I work 14 hours a day and yet i find time to raise him properly, so what is the problem with other people being able to do this??
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

I don't get carded anymore, because I've been shopping at the same Gamestop for over 3 years.

I think this was a waste of time to begin with, it falls onto the parent to know and understand what their kids are buying and if their child is mature enough to play those types of games.

IMO don't punish the whole for the sins of the few, and that's what this really falls under, violent video games are sold everyday, and the cases in which violent crimes are "connected" to them is too few to be garnering the concern it seems to be getting from people.

Deleted User

Deleted User

Deleted User

1 15366
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.