Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Options:
Archived: Game Review: NASCAR 08 - Pedal to the Metal

Posted Under: Articles
Game Review: NASCAR 08 - Pedal to the Metal
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

This user has participated in a Xbox America beta test.

Well I started watching NASCAR in 2002, and have played every NASCAR game made by EA except for 2007. Just because it happened to come out one month after I got my Xbox 360. So having said that, I know what previous NASCAR games have had and know what I have features I have enjoeyed more than others.

Gameplay

A lot of people think NASCAR isnt a sport, and I think that this game proves it is. Almost everything is customizable, and you really get the feel of how hard it is to drive the car.

However with that, I think EA overdid it, because even with the full assists on, it is still really hard to drive, and I would think it would make people quit as soon as they were frustrated.

The car editor has been improved, as there is now, 3 layers to work with instead of one.

Also, new is the Car of Tomorrow, which for me at least, really doesnt feel all that different.

The Chase mode was rebuilt from the ground up, and in an effort to help people learn how to drive, and to get to know how complicated NASCAR is, I think they killed it. They lost sight of the whole "Owner" side of the game. Now you have to earn licenses by doing challenges, and then after getting licenses, you have to get contracts by racing in races and beating the requirements. But even on full assists, I would get out to the front of the pack, lead a bunch of laps, and have one mistake, crash, cause a caution, and bring out the caution, go to the back of the pack, and not have a chance at making it back up. Repeating this over and over really "turned me off" it pretty much made it impossible to make it to the actual race mode.

Even when you got there, you could no longer, buy cars sign sponsors, earn money, and sign drivers. It was just you with a bunch of cars, and no teammates, left to race and race, for no point besides the hope of getting 100 Gamerscore fro winning the cup.

Because of that, I went to season mode, which turned out to be better. However it also was worse, barely, but it was, when you go to start the 10 race chase, you can pick the drivers in it, but not where they are positioned at the beginning.

New this year, was the replays. This was the major and one of the only good changes in my opionion. Now after every race, you can go back and watch in someones view, that car barrel rolling down the track. Or someone barely avoiding the "big one" at Daytona. Or maybe, watching a huge save or a close finish.

The badges have been revamped, and are now associated with drivers, which is a slight improvement if any.

The AI, seems to be improved some, but also seems worse. In the corners the cars just hit you like you arnt even there, but they actually have the sense to slow down if a car wrecks instead of plowing into them.

The online play is okay, however sometimes it can be hard to find serious racers. And a lot of people race dirty. So most of the time, "accidents", arnt really accidents.

Graphics/Sound

The graphics are remarkably better, however in the replays, the cars damage, randomly happens, and leaves, then comes back. Also, lighting is better, and there is an all new smoke engine. The sound is also better, now the car makes noise when idle. The EA Trax are actually worse, in my opionion, there are less of them, and they are moving more towards country. In the past, the games were more rock and NASCAR was more country, now that NASCAR moves towards rock, the games go towards country, am I missing something?

Ratings/Scores

Gameplay:

Is better and worse, mostly worse though. The experience is utterly frustrating, and is very stressful, that leads you to quit.

Score: 7.5/10

Presentation:

Is better, it really pushes people into getting to know NASCAR more, but gives them the option to not if they dont want to.

Score: 8.5/10

Graphics/Audio

Graphics have improved, however, they are often glitchy. Audio as I said before, is good, but the EA Trax are headed in the wrong direction.

Score: 8/10

FINAL SCORE: 8.0 - 10 (Good)
Attachments
NASCAR-08-Pedal-to-the-Metal.jpg15084
NASCAR-08-Pedal-to-the-Metal(1).jpg15084
NASCAR-08-Pedal-to-the-Metal(2).jpg15084
NASCAR-08-Pedal-to-the-Metal(3).jpg15084
NASCAR-08-Pedal-to-the-Metal(4).jpg15084
Re: Game Review: NASCAR 08 - Pedal to the Metal
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

I'm going to have to rent this one. I haven't been a huge NASCAR gamer, but from what I've seen, it looks pretty good.

I would have to use the actual wheel for it, though. It just wouldn't feel right without it.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Sociable
Sociable

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Wowm it finally went through, its been what 2 weeks lmao. And whered the pics go? taht i attached.

EDIT: IMA SNIPER WHORE, collz lmao
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Leaderboard Champion
Leaderboard Champion

This user has held 1st place on the Xbox America gamerscore leaderboard.

Quote by Kamikaze8:

Wowm it finally went through, its been what 2 weeks lmao. And whered the pics go? taht i attached.

EDIT: IMA SNIPER WHORE, collz lmao

The pics are only in the Article version, they do not carry over to the forum.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Sociable
Sociable

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

because youd have to find the url and add them in with the img coding here
1 2703
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.