Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Options:
Archived: FFXIII - Chapter 9 boss fight help please

Posted Under: Xbox 360 Games
FFXIII - Chapter 9 boss fight help please
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

I'm at the end of Chapter 9 and I've died trying to beat the boss at least 10 times now, if not more. I'm stuck with Lightning as leader so I can't change her, but if anyone has any suggestions for the other two party members and/or how to go about beating this guy they'd be my most favorite person ever.

So far I've tried Lightning/Hope/Vanille and Lightning/Snow/Hope, no dice either way. The crystarium isn't quite maxed out, but it's close. Tried with lvl 1 weapons and tried with ~lvl 6 weapons. I've tried two or three different methods google led me to, thus the party set-ups, no dice. I managed to get far enough to get doom cast on me once, but couldn't get him beat before my time ran out.

If any one has any hints, tips, or step-by-step instructions I would greatly appreciate it.
Re: FFXIII - Chapter 9 boss fight help please
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

This user mentioned Xbox America in his Xbox Live biography.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Well, I hope your talking about the Barthandelus fight. I used lightning, Hope and Snow. I started off with ravager, ravager and Snow in commando. I attacked the far right, (the leg or hand thingy lol) and after that side out, I went for the other side. The only attack that really hurt me was the laugh attack and when he used that I switched to a medic, medic, sentinel class until they healed and then went back to the ravager class. If you really wanted you could use Lightning as a ravager, Snow as a commando and Hope as a medic. Hope this helps.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Yep, that's the guy. I do alright until the four faces are destroyed and he starts doing his destructoid (or whatever it's called) attack. I have a heck of a time not getting killed the first time he does it, and if I manage to survive the first one his follow up attacks usually finish me off.
Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

This is a staff member of Xbox America

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Benefactor
Xbox America Benefactor

This user has donated $50+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 150,000 or higher.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Waffle Philanthropist
Waffle Philanthropist

This user has donated three or more games to the Waffle Order thread.

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Marketer
Marketer

This user has referred five users to Xbox America.

Master Marketer
Master Marketer

This user has referred ten users to Xbox America.

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

This user mentioned Xbox America in his Xbox Live biography.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Community Player
Community Player

This gamer participated in Xbox America's Xbox.com Community Playdate.

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

This user has participated in a Xbox America beta test.

I would say first off, whatever characters you decide to use, maximize your paradigms for offense and defense. What I mean by this is try to avoid using a paradigm where theres like 1 damager, 1 healer and 1 person buffing or debuffing.

Instead, set it up so you have an all out attack paradigm and an all out defensive/healing paradigm.

Examples of all out attack are RAV/RAV/RAV or COM/RAV/RAV
Examples of defensive would be like MED/SYN/MED or MED/SAB/MED

What you DON'T want is something like COM/RAV/MED or RAV/MED/SEN

The reason for this is that you want to get healed/buffed as fast as possible, and then quickly return to all out attacking--the quicker you stack the damage on, the less time you are sitting in front of this guy getting crap thrown at you, and the less Thanatosian Smiles you have to endure.

If you use a paradigm that is part offense, part defense and part healing, then that means you aren't doing anything very well or very fast.

I would recommend you avoid using SENtinel role in this fight since most of Bart's stuff hits everyone anyway.

Also remember that Ravagers are the best at building stagger chains, and Commandos are for maintaining it. What this means is that, until the enemy is staggered at 800% or more, you want to have as many Ravagers hitting him as possible.

Learn to use the B and Y buttons to push commands through or cancel them to time the attacks between your party members so it creates a continuous barrage of damage rather than a big burst where all 3 members unload their ATB bar and then several seconds of nothing happening.

When you learn to manage the flow of your attacks, you will be able to get an enemy all the way to stagger without needing a Commando at all. This maximizes your offensive potential and shortens the length of fights. Save Commandos for when the enemy is already at a high stagger %, this is when they do their best work.

Apparently it takes the boss awhile to charge the Destrudo ability, and if you do a significant amount of damage during this time it will make him "moan" and lower the damage you take, only hitting 1 or 2 party members instead of all of them. So when you see him start charging, hit him hard!

If you can muster them, I also recommend creating 3x paradigms. Examples of this are COM/COM/COM, RAV/RAV/RAV, MED/MED/MED, etc. I don't remember what all was available in Ch 9, but you may not be able to do these fully, that's ok. These just simplify things and let you build stagger, deal damage or heal up very quickly with minimal time spent shifting.

Don't abandon your offensive paradigm and shift to healing the second you take damage. Instead, maintain your attack for as long as possible. Hope and Vanille are both good medics and pretty fast, so you can count on a nice health boon right after you switch paradigms.

If you have 1 or more party members that are Synergists, create a __/SYN/SYN paradigm and make it active before the battle begins. Sazh can get Haste way before anyone else, so he makes a great SYN for this fight and most of the game, really. Once I had a SYN with Haste I kept them in the party for the rest of the game until others got it.

If you also have a Saboteur, those make a great addition to 2 Synergists for the opening moments of boss fights.

Lastly, make sure to use Libra or a librascope at the very beginning of the battle, and, if you can, use a shroud item before the fight. Keep in mind that you can stack Aegisol and Fortisol.

Hopefully someone with the Strategy Guide can give you more specific advice for this particular fight. Setsuna or iKhaotic will probably have some help for you later today.

+edit+ Oh, and don't summon your Eidolon until 1 or more people are dead and you're about to lose the fight.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

edit: i'm stupid and misread stuffs xD

(spoiler is for chapter 11 endboss strategy)

Spoiler: Click here to toggle spoiler

lol well, Meta has it pretty much down. the only thing i don't agree with that he said however, is the "don't use a COM/RAV/MED Paradigm", from my experiences, that Paradigm (Diversity) is your best friend throughout the last parts of the game. you can keep a continuous assault while the lone medic heals any and all potentially deadly chip damage that enemies will do to you. switch out to an all out attack/defense Paradigm only when it's safe to do so or if the situation calls for it.

for the boss fight itself, i suggest a party of Lightning, Fang, and Hope. set up your Paradigm deck to have at least these:

(Lightning-Fang-Hope)
Diversity (COM/RAV/MED)
Aggression (RAV/COM/RAV)
Protection (MED/SEN/SYN)
Combat Clinic (MED/SEN/MED)

start off with Protection (MED/SEN/SYN) to have Hope casts buffs for everyone while Fang absorbs most of the damage and Lightning healing whenever necessary.

afterwards swtich to Aggression and pummel him with attacks to drive up the stagger gauge quickly. however, the moment ANY character's HP gets to yellow, switch to Diversity and have Hope heal while Lightning and Fang continue to attack. even though the commando may seem useless while building the stagger gauge, the chip damage they do is well worth it.

once he staggers, switch to Aggression and pummel away at him. by this time, your buffs may or may not be gone. so when the stagger gauge falls to a little less than 1/4, immediately switch to Protection and have Hope cast as many buffs as he can before the boss uses Thanatosian Smile, which when he does, immediately switch to Combat Clinic to heal.

after this point, it's just rinse and repeat. keep switching around between the four Paradigms i mentioned. use Diversity for minor healing and switch to Combat Clinic if more than one character falls to yellow HP.

Deleted User

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

oh lmao. disregard my advice please. i was thinking of a different boss <_<

i thought she was referring to: (OP, don't read. spoilers)

Spoiler: Click here to toggle spoiler

Barthandalus second fight

Deleted User

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Thanks for the help guys, but I have to tell you those spoiler boxes are just begging for me to click them now instead of waiting. lol

I do have the Tungsten bangles, just need to check and see who has them so I can give them both to Light. Can't remember off the top of my head if I got the Gold bangle though. I'm guessing it's back somewhere I can't backtrack to if I don't have it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I've got the gold one too. :)

I did some cp grinding after my tenth death, but it sounds like I'll need to do some more grinding for components so I can finish upgrading everything. It won't hurt to finish off everything available in the crystarium either. Bought a bunch of potions earlier to help with the healing so I can sell some of them off for the cash to buy components, but I'm kicking myself really hard right now because I sold a bunch of components early on before I realized I'd need them all. How high do the weapon levels go before it turns into a star?

Deleted User

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Wow... Nowhere near being maxed out then. This could take awhile.. lol

Deleted User

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

I've noticed that too. Really wish I hadn't sold those components early on.. *sigh*

I already restarted the game once because I sold a ring that it turns out I need for one of those achievements and had to redo 4 hours worth of play. Managed to do it in 2 though since I skipped all the cutscenes. I'm sure not restarting now for components though. I'd rather grind the rest of the day than start from the beginning again. :D

Deleted User

Deleted User

1 12393
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.