Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Options:
Archived: 360 Hacked.....

Posted Under: 360 Talk
360 Hacked.....
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

This says you can see the video of it.. Not sure if its it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyZQ4k7Bi-8
I have a filter on this computer(Damn Goverment) I can't view it. Let me know......
Re: 360 Hacked.....
1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

This user has participated in a Xbox America beta test.

It is, they put in a bootleg copy of PGR3 and it worked.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

well that was quick.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Leaderboard Champion
Leaderboard Champion

This user has held 1st place on the Xbox America gamerscore leaderboard.

Quote by Random Hero:

This says you can see the video of it.. Not sure if its it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyZQ4k7Bi-8
I have a filter on this computer(Damn Goverment) I can't view it. Let me know......

Yea I seen this a long time ago.
Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

This is a staff member of Xbox America

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

havent seen that yet.. cool
Sociable
Sociable

They had that about a month after the 360 came out. But yeah, cool
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Leaderboard Champion
Leaderboard Champion

This user has held 1st place on the Xbox America gamerscore leaderboard.

That proves nothing in my mind. Slight of hand wants you to believe that the front A/V jacks on the TV are the source of the PGR3 startup sequence. No one ever shows the back of the TV and what is plugged in there.....

Call me a skeptic. If it was truly hacked, we would have seen lots of mods by now.

Z
1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

True, they could of had a second 360, but it looks like immediately once the disk starts spinning, the screen shows up.
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Sociable
Sociable

How about this info:

What is this? A bit more info...
The hack is a modified firmware of the Xbox 360 Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L DVD-ROM drive (the security in the Toshiba/Samsung TS-H943 is said to be similar, so it's probably also possible with this drive ... but it does require it's own hacked firmware of course).
As you (should) know, all Xbox 360 executables (XEX files) are signed by Microsoft (with a private key only MS has). This means that if you try to change anything to the XEX file, the signature will be wrong and the file will not boot.
Now ... to protect from booting an exact copy of a game from a DVD-R or other recordable media, microsoft gave each XEX file a 'mediaflag'. This mediaflag tells the Xbox 360 from which media (cd-r, dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw, hdd, dvdxbox, dvdxbox360, ...) the XEX is allowed to boot. Changing this mediaflag in the XEX header is not an option as it'll break the signature of the file (see above), so ... what's done in this firmware hack is 'break' the detection of the disc.
Retail games usually get a mediaflag where they only allow 'dvdxbox360' (Xbox 360 discs - different than a normal DVD because it has some specific bad sectors and special info in lead-in/out that can't be written with a standard dvd burner). The modified firmware will trick the DVD drive into reporting a DVD-R (or other) as a DVDXBOX360 to the Xbox 360.

How can you do this?
Well, right now you can't. The firmware has not been released to the public because it would mostly be used for piracy and that's not what this team wants (unlike the original Xbox hack this can't be used (atleast not directly) for homebrew and linux fun). But the research done by these guys is public as you can read their discussions of the last few months on the xboxhacker.net forums, so people with good assembly experience should be able to duplicate this hack.

If the firmware was released, what would it mean?
Right now the Xbox 360 DVD firmware can't be flashed via PC (and for us, end-users, even less directly by the Xbox 360 itself (Microsoft could probably flash the drive from Xbox360 tho)), because there's no software to do this. Of course, drivers and flashing software for Xbox360 DVD drives could probably be written (and some people have been working on this), but so far this has not been done (atleast not publicly).
So, that means you'd have to open your Xbox 360, open your DVD drive and desolder the chip where the firmware is stored on.
Each Xbox 360 DVD drive has a unique key, if that key doesn't match what your console is expecting your DVD drive will not work.
So next you will need to read your current firmware chip with special hardware (flash programmer), to find your unique DVD 16 byte key (stored at 0x4F00). Then you'll have to insert this key in the modified firmware (or patch your original firmware) and program this modified firmware back on the firmware chip. Then put the firmware chip back in the drive, close DVD drive and Xbox 360 and I guess you're done.
As said above the hack would allow you to run MS-signed and unmodified XEX files only, so that also means the game must be of right region (as changing the regionflag in the XEX header would break the signature). Unsigned, homebrew executables would of course not work, again because signature check would fail.

LIVE and Updates ...
Can you go on LIVE with this hack? Well the firmware isn't released, so noone can try, but I'd guess it would work yes. The Xbox 360 itself is fully in 'normal state', nothing is modified to the Xbox 360 itself, it just gets 'wrong' info from the DVD drive. Of course if you start modifying non-signed files (like textures, ini files, ...) in order to cheat on LIVE or so MS could easily check for that.
Can Microsoft stop this firmware hack with forced LIVE updates? They could probably try detect a basic modified DVD firmware, but anything the Xbox 360 asks to the DVD drive goes via the DVD firmware, and if the firmware is 'open' in the hands of the hackers the firmware can probably each time be modified again to give the reply that the console expects. Microsoft could maybe do more with a HW security update ... but I'll let them analyse that.

(Note that all info above is based on all stuff I read ... if I made any mistakes, let me know)

News-Source: xboxhacker.net
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Sociable
Sociable

If you want to Rebuild your Xbox 360 HDD......Why? No idea? I Just read about it..

http://www.team-gx.org/360rebuild/
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Sociable
Sociable

Podcasts on the Xbox360:

As we've covered already, the Xbox 360 is a powerhouse media machine. But its dependency on Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center doesn't provide a clear path to one of the most popular trends online today: How do you listen to your favorite podcasts on your Xbox 360? There is nothing better than slaughtering your pals online while you catch up with NPR's Story of the Day. And kicking off the week with an episode of TWiT to accompany your Monday night XBL football league is a welcome replacement for repetitive announcers. Of course, we'd be very happy if you started out your weekend of Xbox devotion while listening to the latest gaming news, reviews and previews from the GamesFirst! Weekly Wrap-Up. So for all these reasons and more, let's figure out how to get those podcasts on the Xbox 360.

We're taking this from a non-Windows Media Center Edition point of view. If you don't know the difference, then go read our article about getting the full Xbox 360 media Experience(http://gamesfirst.com/?id=1003). This method should work just fine for users with a Windows Media Center Edition PC in the house as well. These steps should happen on your media serving PC.

Step One: Get a Podcatcher

Are you asking yourself, "What's a Podcast?" Then you should back up and start out at a good, general podcast resource, such as this handy Wikipedia page(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast).

Since version 4.9, iTunes has supported podcasts. You can sign up to the podcasts through the iTunes Music Store, and iTunes will help you sync podcasts to your iPod as well as manage podcasts and automatically check for updates. If you already use iTunes, then go ahead and keep using it. If you have read our article about setting up your Xbox 360 for an optimal media experience, then you should be good to go.

If you don't have iTunes already, then there's no reason to "switch" right now. Just hop over to iPodder.org and grab a copy of the latest version of iPodder. This is a handy little program known as a "podcatcher." A podcatcher program grabs podcasts from the Web, and iPodder is one of the originals and one of the best (screen, screen). It's a little, tiny program that offers even more useful features than iTunes. Configure iPodder to place your podcasts in a directory within your music library for ultimate ease. If you prefer to keep your podcasts segregated from your regular music library, just make a folder anywhere you will remember.

If using iPodder, you'll definitely want to schedule (screen) when the program checks for updates, and for ease of use and maintenances, you might also want to configure how long to keep each episode around before deleting. Some podcasts (such as This Week in Tech, aka TWiT) are quite large files and will build up after awhile. Especially daily hour-long programs.

Step Two: Subscribe to a Podcast

For the sake of example, we'll use our podcast, the GamesFirst! Weekly Wrap-Up. If you notice, on every episode, there is a "Subscribe to the Podcast" link, which points to http://gamefirst.com/gfPodcast.php . This is the address you would enter into iPodder to subscribe to our podcast. If you are using iTunes, you can find podcasts by browsing to the Podcasts section of iTunes Music Store. Or you can just do a search for GamesFirst and we'll show up in your results. There is also a handy podcast directory in iPodder, which is one of the largest listings of podcasts out there. It pulls listings from many different podcast directories. Browse through the subjects to find something that sounds good, but be aware that randomly picking podcasts is not necessarily the best way to find the good ones. Check out sites like PodcastAlley, iPodder, Podspider, or Odeo for plenty of good recommendations and user reviews.

Step Three: Add your podcast directory to Windows Media Connect

Don't have Windows Media Connect? Then you didn't read this. But assuming you do have Windows Media Connect installed on your PC, be sure the directory where you're adding your podcasts is being shared (screen). If you placed your podcasts in a subdirectory within your already-shared music directory, then you probably don't have to do this step. And if you are running a Windows Media Center Edition PC, then you should just be sure to put your podcast directory within your existing media library directories.

If you are running iTunes, then you have probably already added your iTunes Music Library directory to Windows Media Connect. Your podcasts will be stored in your iTunes Music Library, so you don't have to add another directory to Windows Media Connect.

Step Four: Enjoy your podcasts on your Xbox.

Now that your podcasts are available through Windows Media Connect, and now that you have set up an automated management system for your podcasts, you just need to make sure your media serving PC is booted and running every day. Your podcatching program will do the work for you, keeping your podcast directory tidy and organized, and preventing it from taking up too much space. Of course, your PC will need to be running to serve media to your Xbox 360 anyway, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

You can access your podcasts with the rest of the music on your media serving computer. Many podcast creators, including GamesFirst!, label their podcasts with the "podcast" genre, so try looking through your Genres list to find "podcast." That should provide a list of the latest podcasts received by your podcatcher program. Other podcasts (such as the many NPR podcasts) do not use this genre tag, so you'll have to look for them by their Titles. Here's hoping Xbox 360 will evenutally be updated to allow us to browse music by directory!
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Sociable
Sociable

Using large portable/USB storage devices with your Xbox 360:

Adding some storage capacity to your Xbox 360 is really easy to do. The best part about using a USB hard drive with your 360 is that YOU have control of what content you have on it. With the factory Xbox hard drive you cannot load any content to it unless its acquired from Live or ripped form CD's. That does not do much for us that want our MP3 collection on our Xbox 360's now. I'm not up for re-ripping my CD's again, nor am I satisfied with streaming as the only means of accessing MY media. I do bring my Xbox all over the place and would LOVE to be abut to use MY content. Hear that Bill, J Allard or Major Nelson.. I bet I am not the only one ;). I don't think the horse is dead yet, is it? Well I will just keep saying it till its delivered via Live or the mod scene works it out.

Another bonus when accessing your music and photos from the "portable device" applet on the 360 is you actually have file view. I was first frustrated with the fact that if I actually could get all of my music onto the stock 360 drive it would be displayed to me in various predefined filters like: artist, song, genre and so on. The problem with that is I already have my music database highly organized; just how I like it. After the filters it is all a big mess again. Fortunately when accessing data on the USB device it resorts to a more familiar file view with your existing folder structure as the organization.

All you need is the following:

- A hard drive of your choice. The drive of choice is not important as long as you can get a USB 2.0 adapter for that type of drive.

- A USB 2.0 adapter for the type of drive you will be using.

If your using a laptop 2.5" ATA drive that has a form factor height of 9.5mm or less then our $19.99 Ultra slim USB 2.0 case is perfect and looks great atop the 360's stock hard drive. Just about any USB 2.0 adapter will work.
If you are using a 3.5" IDE drive you will need the appropriate USB 2.0 adapter for that drive.

The Xbox 360 supports removable and portable devices via USB. Most of these devices use the FAT32 file system which is capable of volume sizes up to 2 TB. Windows 2000 and XP can read and write to FAT32 volumes of large size but cannot natively create or format them above 32 GB. In order to create a FAT32 partition and format it above 32GB you will need a utility like Partition Magic or some other drive/partition utility. Windows 98 does support the creation and formatting of FAT32 partitions up to 127 GB in size. If you have 98 installed or a 98 boot disk with FDISK.EXE and FORMAT.COM you would have all you need for up to that 127GB mark pending your drive is installed via the IDE interface or you have a USB driver loaded.

This is a really simple process. First assemble the drive with the USB adapter. Next plug the unit into your PC. If your running Windows XP most USB adapters will be automatically recognized and installed. If you are running an older operating system you may need to install a driver for the adapter

Next create a new FAT32 partition on the newly installed device. Again if the drive is larger than 32GB you will need to use a utility like Partition Magic to create the volume. If the drive is smaller than 32GB you can accomplish this via the "Computer Management" snap in found in the Control Panel -> Administrative tools. Last you need to format the volume. The same rule applies for formatting as well; if it is larger than 32GB you will need some other utility like partition magic to format. Windows XP and 2000 does not natively support the creation and formatting of devices larger than 32GB.

Once you've got it all done you should be able to load content to the drive via windows. Plug it into your 360 and go to media and select portable device and bam.. there's YOUR media.

Pictures of it:
http://llamma.com/xbox360/mods/USB%20Hard%20Drive%20Mod.htm
Error Codes
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Sociable
Sociable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--==ERROR Codes==--
If there is a problem with the Xbox360 The LEDs in the ring of light will flash in a particular pattern. The pattern itself leads some insight to the problem. Certain patterns will lead to numbered error codes which will provide further insight to the problem. The numbered error codes are described below their corrosponding LED code.

After reading this guide if you'd like to discuss the problems you're experiencing with others you can do so in the following thread:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=462099

these are the codes we know so far...
Please contribute if you know of new codes that are not part of this list.

=============================

Sections 1, 2, 3, and 4 are flashing red
- The AV cable is cannot be detected
/ \
\ /

THINGS TO TRY
Make sure that the AV cable is correctly connected to the Xbox 360 console.
Disconnect the AV cable from the Xbox 360 console, and then reconnect the AV cable to the Xbox 360 console.
If the four flashing red lights continue to flash, try wiping the metal area of the AV pack with a dry cloth. The metal area is the end that plugs into the console. Wipe the metal area thoroughly, and then try the AV Pack again.
If the AV cable is correctly connected but the four red lights are still flashing, substitute a different AV cable if you have one available.

Sections 1, 3, and 4 are flashing red
- General Hardware Failure
/ \
\ /

The specific type of hardware failure can be determined by a "hidden" error code
Turn the xbox 360 on, and wait till the 3 red lights are flashing.
Press and hold the sync up button (the small white one), while holding that button press the eject button.
The LEDs will now blink the first number in the code (as described below).
Release the eject button and press it again.
The LEDs will now blink the second number of the code.
The LEDs will now blink the third number of the code.
The LEDs will now blink the forth number of the code.
The LEDs will go back to the 3 red flashing lights.
You should be able to determine the difference between the 3 flashing lights and the error code lights by the rate in which they flash.

Here is how you interpret the LEDs to get the code number:
All four lights flashing - 0
One light flashing - 1
Two Lights flashing - 2
Three lights flashing - 3
0001 power supply problem
0002 power supply problem
0010 over heating
0011 over heating
0012 over heating
0013 over heating
0020 (Not yet known, possibly overheating)
0102 unknown error
1022 (Not yet known)

THINGS TO TRY
Try restarting the console.
If restarting the console does not resolve the behavior, follow these steps:
Turn the console off.
Unplug all the power and AV cables from the console.
Unplug the power cord from the wall socket.
Firmly reconnect all the cables.
Turn on the console.
If these steps do not resolve the behavior, turn the console off, remove the hard drive, and then turn on the console. If the 3x Red LED error light is no longer displayed, turn the console off, re-attach the hard drive, and then turn on the console.

Sections 1, and 3 are flashing red
- Overheating
/ \
\ /

THINGS TO TRY
Let the Xbox 360 console cool.
Note You may have to wait several hours for the console to cool enough. Do not turn on the console when the console is hot.
Verify that the console has sufficient ventilation and that the fan is operating. For more information about ventilation, see the "More Information" section.
PREVENTION SUGGESTIONS
To try to prevent this problem, use the following precautions:
Do not block any ventilation openings on the Xbox 360 console.
Do not put the Xbox 360 console on a bed, on a sofa, or on any other soft surface that may block ventilation openings.
Do not put the Xbox 360 console in a confined space, such as a bookcase, a rack, or a stereo cabinet, unless the space is well-ventilated.
Do not put the Xbox 360 console near any heat source, such as a radiator, a heat register, a stove, or an amplifier.
DO NOT EVER PUT YOUR CONSOLE IN THE FREEZER OR OUT IN COLD WEATHER
Some people think that doing this might help "fix" an overheating console, in fact doing so could cause even bigger problems. Electronic devices like your console are made to function at and around room temperature, extreme cold temperatures can often cause just as many problems as extreme warm temperatures (such as overheating). Also if the console is located in a dramatically cold area while running, the difference in temperature between the hot console and cold air can create condensation which in turn will short out your console making the situation far worse. Condensation will happen more quickly if your console is overheating due to the greater difference in temperature. In short... DON'T DO IT.

Section 4 is flashing red
- Hardware Failure
/ \
\ /

The Specific Type of hardware failure can be determined by the error code displayed on the screen.

E65: (Not yet known)

E67: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E68: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E69: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E74: AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable.

--==Sending in your Console for Repair==--
If none of the above suggestions work, contact MS customer support get get a support ticket started. If your console is still under warranty DO NOT attempt to open it and fix it yourself. MS will fix it promptly and for free and if you open it you loose the free support.

Check the documentation that came with your Xbox 360 for contact information.

In the US Customer Support can be reached at 1-800-4-MY-XBOX (1-800-469-9269)
Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

This is a staff member of Xbox America

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

good stuff hero
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

LOL hero you want us to read all that :D I am to lazy to do that.

:D
1 585
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.