Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Options:
Archived: 2 Buy or Not 2 Buy?

Posted Under: Off-Topic
2 Buy or Not 2 Buy?
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Okay everyone, this is going to come out of left field, and probably not the best place to ask this, but I wanted some opinions from some people I actually know a little about.

Should I buy a PS3?

The reason I am thinking about it all of a sudden is because Meijer is running a deal Friday and Saturday for an additional 20% off general merchanise. This includes Electronics.

Since I do not have a Meijer Credit Card, I can apply for one and get an additional 10% on top of that.

This would make a 60gb PS3 around $432.

I have a really nice HDTV and have been geeking for either the Blu-Ray or HD-DVD format.

My son and I have always loved the playstation system as much as the Xbox, but I know that there aren't many games out yet that would be good for he and I, so I would mainly be getting it for the Blu-Ray for now, in hopes that Ratchet and Clank, etc. would come out soon.

Of course I will probably pick up a couple of games for me, just not sure which ones yet.

What are your thoughts everyone? Anyone have both systems?

Sorry to be asking it on my Xbox Forum site, but I figures I could get honest opinions. (I hope) :)
Re: 2 Buy or Not 2 Buy?
Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

This is a staff member of Xbox America

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

This user mentioned Xbox America in his Xbox Live biography.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Community Player
Community Player

This gamer participated in Xbox America's Xbox.com Community Playdate.

I don't think I can help you. I rather not say anything so I don't give a biased answer. Besides, I really don't know all that much about the PS3. I just know that it doesn't have the games I want and is beyond what I'm willing to pay for gaming.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Leaderboard Champion
Leaderboard Champion

This user has held 1st place on the Xbox America gamerscore leaderboard.

Just like the HD-DVD add on for the 360, the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is not one of the best pieces of Blu-Ray equipment on the market. It has nice features, but cannot compare to a stand-alone unit.

If you are truly looking for the Hi-Def movie playback first and foremost, skip buying the PS3 and take a look at the new players coming out that do both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

Bear in mind that both formats are in their infancy and neither has gained much of an upper hand, let alone a strong foothold.

As for the PS3 as a game unit, the lineup is still pretty weak, with Motorstorm and resistance the two biggest hitters for which to buy. However, you should take a look at what games are out that you and your son can enjoy regularly for the amount of money you will be sinking into the unit. Is it worth $400+ bucks to get something you will use sparingly for games that also has a mediocre Blu-Ray player in it?
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Leaderboard Champion
Leaderboard Champion

Quote by Pastafarianism:

I just know that it doesn't have the games I want and is beyond what I'm willing to pay for gaming.

this is my opinion about it as well. but if you truly want it then buy it:p
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Just an update - I am a proud new PS3 papa!

I just couldn't pass up the $200 savings and the Blu-Ray technology. I am such a video game addict.

I ended up buying an extra controller, Bluetooth Remote, 2 Blu-Ray Movies and 2 PS3 games - Resistance and Motorstorm.

I am absolutely pleased with my new gadget. I can not believe the difference between standard DVD and Blu-Ray. The pop-up menu system is really a nice addition along with the crystal clear video and audio.

I am running the PS3 via HDMI which was one of the better reasons to buy the system for my entertainment center. I was out of Component inputs using my standar DVD player and PS2. Now both are combined into one of my HDMI inputs that I had open on my TV.

I have to be honest though, when I popped in my first game - Resistance Fall of Man, I was not totally blown away with the graphics. Especially coming from Viva Pinata, COD2, etc on the 360. It was pretty much the same graphically quality. BUT...

I am absolutely ecstatic about the classic, ergonomically correct PS3 controller feel. I really don't think that there is anything as comfortable to hold as the PS3 controller. I think the tilt function is a nice little touch when I am playing motorstorm, but I do wish they would have kept the vibration feature in it. I can't believe how light the controller is though.

The menu system is really clean, but they could really use an easier to navigate online shopping experience. Coming from the Xbox Live Marketplace it was hard to feel my way around their online store. Everything seems like it is just surfing the internet with a controller, which seems a little tedious. I downloaded a couple of demos and videos, but didn't have to time to try them yet.

My first Blu-Ray movie I tried was Underworld - I managed to go back to Meijer yesterday when the Target Ad came out and price matched the movie free for the PS3 purchase, LOL. My local Meijer is so nice, I can't believe they still price matched after I already got the almost 30% off.

Anyway, I am definitely blown away with how much they have tweaked since the PS2, and I really hope the HOME feature along with the fall lineup of platformer games that my son and I really love, comes together.

My biggest problem now will be trying to choose what to play when I have time after work - Wii, 360, PS3, PC, DS, or Atari 2600. ROFL!
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Leaderboard Champion
Leaderboard Champion

Quote by San Grial:

I really don't think that there is anything as comfortable to hold as the PS3 controller

yes there is...the 360 controller!! :p

but thanks for the ps3 review
1 1453
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.