Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Tons of Halo 4 Details Emerge

News | April 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Honestly, Halo 3 never quite did it for me. ODST was fun for a while, but was over quickly. However, I never had more fun with a Halo game than I have with Halo: Reach. This makes me very excited for Halo 4, so naturally I scoured the web when I heard the latest issue of Game Informer contained tons of Halo 4 details. I was presented with NeoGAF post that contained all of the juicy details before the newest Game Informer was even out!

There's a ton of information to digest, and the original poster seems to be updating his forum post constantly, so I would check the source for the most up-to-date information, but here are some of the things you can look forward to:

-Halo 4 is set in 2557 - four years, seven months and ten days since the FUD was split into two and the finale of the events of Halo 3.

-True native 720p with FXAA

-New HUD, features subtle parallel movement during athletic actions and additional visual cues indicating that you are actually wearing a helmet.

-Chief, Cortana and other characters animated with the assistance of motion capture.

-Cortana impending rampancy will be a critical theme as will be exploring Master Chief as a person.

-Cortana has chosen a new visual identity whilst the Chief has been sleeping.

- The Covenant, at least Elites and Grunts, return but are not the primary enemy.

- The FUD eventually crash lands on Requiem, a planet enclosed in a massive Dyson Shell.

-A new faction from Requiem is introduced. Like the Covenant they will have unique and different enemy types, weapons and equipment. "If anything, they're kind of elevated in terms of their intelligence and complexity relative to the Covenant."

-Huge, alive environments - a piece of concept art depicts a floating air squid in a jungle setting.

-The skybox is filled with massive pillars reaching down from above and the surrounding view is painted by the inside of the Dyson Shell.

-Game is split between Campaign and Infinity - the new term of the entire multiplayer experience separate from the Campaign.

- Multiplayer directly and indirectly ties into the Campaign.

- Multiplayer features Spartan IV's - adult volunteers taken from the the best of special ops soldiers, equipped with a new version of the Mjolnir Armour (lightweight variation) and deployed onboard the UNSC Infinity.

-The UNSC Infinity is the largest ship the UNSC has ever created. Over three kilometers long, it was designed with cutting edge technology and features some additional technological enhancements provided by the study of Forerunner technology - including faster and more accurate slipspace travel.

-The UNSC is deployed on a top secret mission into deep space but will cross paths with the Master Chief during the campaign.

-The Spartan IV's onboard train in the Infinity's "combat deck" (think holodeck or Danger room). The deck can simulate any known environment and plays host the the multiplayer games players are familiar with.

-Firefight is absent and it is stated that there are no plans for it to return.

-New Co-Op mode called Spartan Ops for up to four players in online Campaign-esque missions.

-Spartan OPs introduces new movies, sequences and missions on a weekly basis, which tells the story of the UNSC Infinity's mission and battles the new Spartan IV's face.

-Spartan Op missions are objective based and feature new content, events and locations each week. Spartan Ops missions also reward Spartan Points and feature selectable difficulty levels like Campaign.

-Spartan Ops missions are not DLC, they are included in the overall Halo 4 package but it is unclear if the content is available on the disc or must be downloaded separately.

-Weapons in the overall sandbox include Assault Rifle, Battle Rifle, DMR, Assault Carbine, Covenant Carbine, Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, Sniper Rifle, Magnum and Plasma Pistol. There are numerous unrevealed, new weapons.

Multiplayer Details:

- Loadouts are composed of a primary and secondary weapon, a grenade type, armor ability and modifications. It is unclear how the modification system works or what things it modifies or how.

-Returning Armor Abilities include Hologram, Jet-Pack and Camo. A new ability to see through walls was shown and Sprint is now a baseline ability all players will have access to at all times.

-FFA Variant, Regicide. Lead slayer is "King" - each of the King's kills raises his "bounty". The bounty is claimed by whomever kills the King.

-In Team Slayer (not confirmed for other gametypes), players can respawn instantly after death if they choose. Additionally, power weapons are introduced into a game on a random timer and appear at random drop points on the map.

- Medals are turning including new medals for "revenge kills" and for causing a distraction.

It appears "Spartan Ops" will fully replace Firefight, with no plans of the beloved game modes return. I did enjoy Firefight in ODST, and loved it in Reach. Spartan Ops looks to be very promising, however, offering tons of coop content and what looks like another entire campaign's worth of content cannot be bad.

I'm also not sure how I, or indeed many of the current Halo multiplayer fans, feel about all of these other changes. Weapon camping will be eliminated, changing the way some players play completely, while instant respawns will add a whole new variable to the mix. Only time will tell if 343's changes will be a hit or not.

Again, check here for the most up to date information, or pick up a copy of the new Game Informer to read the entire spread for yourself.
(Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469395%22%22)
Keywords: None

Options:
Archived: Article Discussion: Tons of Halo 4 Details Emerge

Posted Under: Xbox News
Re: Tons of Halo 4 Details Emerge
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 150,000 or higher.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Waffle Philanthropist
Waffle Philanthropist

This user has donated three or more games to the Waffle Order thread.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Marketer
Marketer

This user has referred five users to Xbox America.

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

This user mentioned Xbox America in his Xbox Live biography.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Diggin the announcement of the Spec Ops missions they are gonna have, especially for the fact that they are coming out with new ones weekly. Should be interesting to play.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

This is really making me look forward to Halo 4, I was getting worried that it would be a remake of Halo 3 or Halo Reach with Adjustments only to campaign or multiplayer.

Deleted User

Weekly Competition Winner
Weekly Competition Winner

This user won the most recent weekly Gamerscore Competition. This award travels from winner to winner.

Competition Pro
Competition Pro

This user has won three or more gamerscore competitions.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

3 Year Login Streak
3 Year Login Streak

This user has logged in to Xbox America every day for the past three years.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Head of State
Head of State

This user has one of the highest gamerscores in his or her region.

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Marketer
Marketer

This user has referred five users to Xbox America.

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

This user mentioned Xbox America in his Xbox Live biography.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

I made the 50,000th post
I made the 50,000th post

This award was rewarded to the user that posted Xbox America's 50,000th post.

Totally looking forward to Halo 4
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

3 Year Login Streak
3 Year Login Streak

This user has logged in to Xbox America every day for the past three years.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

I am looking forward to the storyline, just not the mp ach's.
1 16376
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.