Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Options:
Archived: Metro 2033 Review!

Posted Under: Articles
Metro 2033 Review!
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 150,000 or higher.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

This user has performed some sort of miscellaneous service for Xbox America that deserves to be recognized.

Russia...The Dark Ones...Barely Habitable...Metro 2033

Metro 2033 is a game based on Post Apocalyptic Russia, where the Human race is trying to survive. However the hidden dangers lurk through the Metro and can take you by surprise at any moment and at anytime. Whether it be the rugged Nosalises, or the Demons that ravage the skies. Not even the after life shadows will allow you to live and let them be alone. Where a beggar must beg for a bullet in order to get a nice warm meal to survive. These are the dangers everyone must deal with in order to survive.

You are Artyom, a survivor who lives in the Metro in the now dead world of Moscow. He has never seen the light of day, and can only imagine life with post cards that are posted amongst his room, showing him how our world used to be. He journeys from one area of the Metro to the other in hopes of finding help to protect his home, which seems to be threatened by the termed, "Dark Ones" and their creatures. He has been living with his Step Father who is no slouch and knows how to protect himself with his rifle. He introduces you to Hunter, who is a firm believer in killing anything that is threatening. The three of you are attacked, and thus begins your journey, to a Station known as Polis, in which you are going to ask for help, to fight against these Dark Ones.

Graphics: 8 out of 10
While the games creatures and environments are deeply detailed and toned for the environment. The game sometimes lacks some extra polishing in some of the objects that are around. However the Character and Monster animations are very good looking. The Lurker Monsters are probably my favorite to mention as they look like an oversized skinned person running around, ready to bite your head off. You will also notice, the hair on the creatures is apparent, and the blood seeping out of the mouths of each creature that has made a kill. The gas mask you have to wear to protect you from radiation poisoning is very detailed. You can see sweat and cracks in the mask from use, which is a nice effect. The world of the Metro is what you would expect, very run down, and beat up due to the barrage Moscow had taken. The many different monsters you run into fit their environments, whether it be a skin color change, or a whole new monster altogether, and Metro 2033, shines in that aspect big time. I will say though, nothing is ground breaking, but from what it does have, they seem to have a good grasp on it.

Sound: 7.5 out of 10
The game takes advantage of the horror genre, and throws at you some really good scares thanks to environment the music and tone sets. You can be in a quiet area, and put your head next to a pipe and hear something so creepy, it makes you get the jitters. The sounds of the weapons, sound authentic, and sound familiar to the weapon as opposed to some games, where the sounds of the gunfire do not match the weapon. The music if you run into it, via record players and so on, have the same classic 40s tunes that set the era up correctly. The voice overs also seem to be okay, but a lot of the actors seem to be overused and can be noticed quite easily. The children all have one voice in what it seems, and I have seen no children that are female, which is odd. But all in all, the sound is okay, and works well with the game.

Controls: 6.5 out of 10
Now this is where I begin to get irritated with the game. The movement with the left stick, seems to be the only correct thing done in the game, and possibly aiming with the right. However, everything seems to be off a bit, and I have noticed no snap aiming, which would have been welcome in this title. One of the biggest problems, I have noticed is when your changing between weapons in gun fight, things seem to get mixed up. Also when reloading and being attacked, this process seems to take very long time, if it gets completed at all. You also get very confused trying to pull out your battery charger and turning on/off your light. At one point, you begin helping a child and your controls go to this slide mode, where you turn one way and let go and it keeps going. Other than that, everything else seems to be okay.

Story: 9.0 out of 10
The story is very strong in this game, and has had me glued through 2 completions of the game. Just imagining what life could be life in that type of situation (minus the monsters of course) would be just insane and has you thinking, what would you do. Not to mention, Artyam is on a path to save the world and doesn't even know it until things wrap up in the end. All you see is one stepping stone, followed by a bigger one. The creatures Artyam battles, add to the element and make things that much better. He has to overcome so much, whether it be the creatures, such as the Librarian or the undead shadows of the past, he has to stay on focus and maintain while being badgered by the Dark Ones, in finding out the meaning of Artyom. I can go on and on, but I advise just to play through the game and find out what I am talking about.

Achievements Difficulty Rating: EASY (.25 bump in overall score)
This game has some very base achievements that are easily gained just by playing through the story. Get EX amount of kills with certain weapons, or meet certain requirements in levels, or finding gold bullets.. Also some are based on how you act in the world of Metro 2033. I advise to be the good guy, and give bullets (money) to every beggar and kid you run into, except the hooker. Also having to explore everything in game, leaving no stone unturned is part of this list. What is also nice, is if you have to mop up certain achieves on levels, you can just load up that level, after completing it the first time, and do it up. This game can net you the full 1k, in one playthrough, but I advise using a guide, so you do not miss any bullets, or hidden areas.

All in all, I like Metro 2033 a Lot and recommend it as a definite rental, because of the easy of achieves. But if your just into a good old scary first person shooter, than I advise picking up a copy of this game immediately!

The overall rating I give this game is an 8.0 out of 10!

Thanks for reading!

Gabriel
Re: Metro 2033 Review!
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Great review gamefly is shipping this out tomorrow!
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Im actually playing this game right now and its pretty good. I like games that come up with new ideas to keep games fresh and this is one. (Ex) The Ammo/Money system is really kind of a neat idea, along with the gas mask and a few other things. Besides having really easy achievements ( which Im in no way complaining about...lol :p ) This to me is easily a rently but for fans of 1st person shooter/Horror/Post-Apocalyptic genre gaming its a buy. Just to add my two cents in on this great review. :) Happy gaming everyone
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

I'm a Fallout nut so this one caught my eye fairly quick but I also 100% Fallout 3 all dlc's included on 2 of my accounts and then played for fun for 100's of hours trying different perks and stuff. So, I am completely burnt out! I tried to play it a few weeks back with a friend who hadn't played it yet and just couldn't get into it anymore.

So, I guess what I am asking is how much is this like Fallout 3? I know it looks different in a lot of ways but it's still Post-Apocalyptic

It's in my gameQ but I have it low on my list at the moment b/c I'm just not ready for another Fallout yet...
Re: Re: Metro 2033 Review!
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Quote by o00oRICHARDo00o:

I'm a Fallout nut so this one caught my eye fairly quick but I also 100% Fallout 3 all dlc's included on 2 of my accounts and then played for fun for 100's of hours trying different perks and stuff. So, I am completely burnt out! I tried to play it a few weeks back with a friend who hadn't played it yet and just couldn't get into it anymore.

So, I guess what I am asking is how much is this like Fallout 3? I know it looks different in a lot of ways but it's still Post-Apocalyptic

It's in my gameQ but I have it low on my list at the moment b/c I'm just not ready for another Fallout yet...

same settings, diffrent type of gaming
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

This user has performed some sort of miscellaneous service for Xbox America that deserves to be recognized.

as far as gameplay, it is nowhere near fallout.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

Marketer
Marketer

This user has referred five users to Xbox America.

Master Marketer
Master Marketer

This user has referred ten users to Xbox America.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Community Player
Community Player

This gamer participated in Xbox America's Xbox.com Community Playdate.

2010 Tournament Winner
2010 Tournament Winner

This user won one or more of Xbox America's monthly tournaments in 2010.

i want this game! But a picture resize is needed! lol
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

nice review junior!
@ richard, it looks like fallout but it plays more like FEAR or condemned, in my opinion.
pretty linear, but an amazing story and a great atmosphere.

i do think switching between guns could have been organized better, but i don't have many other complaints about this beast. i recommend this title to any survival horror / post apocalyptic fan.
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

This user has won three or more gamerscore competitions.

Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

This is a staff member of Xbox America

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

3 Year Login Streak
3 Year Login Streak

This user has logged in to Xbox America every day for the past three years.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Waffle Philanthropist
Waffle Philanthropist

This user has donated three or more games to the Waffle Order thread.

Barterer
Barterer

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

Marketer
Marketer

This user has referred five users to Xbox America.

Master Marketer
Master Marketer

This user has referred ten users to Xbox America.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Community Player
Community Player

This gamer participated in Xbox America's Xbox.com Community Playdate.

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

Snap aiming is for babies IMO. If the controls are clunky like fear, forget it! That's my two cents.
1 12028
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.