Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Options:
Archived: Digital Distribution Pt 2: The DLC Dilemma

Posted Under: Articles
Digital Distribution Pt 2: The DLC Dilemma
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

This user has won three or more gamerscore competitions.

Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

This is a staff member of Xbox America

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Benefactor
Xbox America Benefactor

This user has donated $50+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 150,000 or higher.

3 Year Login Streak
3 Year Login Streak

This user has logged in to Xbox America every day for the past three years.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Head of State
Head of State

This user has one of the highest gamerscores in his or her region.

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Waffle Philanthropist
Waffle Philanthropist

This user has donated three or more games to the Waffle Order thread.

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Marketer
Marketer

This user has referred five users to Xbox America.

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

This user mentioned Xbox America in his Xbox Live biography.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

All right so here we go again. In case anyone missed my last rant about digital distribution, here it is. In the past few months I have been breaking my current trend this console generation of waiting until games drop in price and buy them used, and have even picked up a few on launch day! Now being unemployed at the moment I have done this by trading it tons of the games I have accumulated over the past 2 years of playing the 360, leading back to the whole first rant about having a hard copy of the game being worth something. That however is not the issue with my current rant, what I am now trying to explore is the other form of digital distribution we are seeing in this console generation: DLC or Downloadable Content if you live under the proverbial rock.

Now unlike my last rant I want to explore the upside to DLC before I turn my wrath upon MS and greedy developers. DLC is a great new feature to this generation of console gaming: you can download new content for a game that was not available at the time the game was released. This is a wonderful thing allowing developers the ability to add new content to a game to do a few things: first increase the value of the game, second to give gamers who enjoyed the game more content and third to make a few extra bucks down the road. Now in many of the games we have seen my personal opinion is that the content is generally worth the extra 5-10 dollars spent on it (even if it is using MS points). I loved playing Halo 3 and did not feel ripped off purchasing the new map packs as they came out, and it has allowed other games like Gears of War 2 to add tons of maps to what was available at launch. All kinds of games including role-playing games and especially the singing/guitar/band game genre have benefits from the DLC - don't like the songs on Rock Band? Download some that you do like! Even the XBLA games have DLC and can benefit from it, I personally enjoyed The Maw immensely and immediately bought the DLC for that game and it was at a good price as well (a whole $1.25 or 100 MS points). However the nature of any business is to make money and try to make the most money possible (except for non-profit of course).

In my opinion DLC in games has started trending towards cash in pocket opposed to value for gamers. Now I will not knock any developer who is trying to add value to the purchase of a new game by giving "free" DLC to those who buy the game new. Gears of War 2 basically enabled the developer to net a nice 400 MS points for purchasing the Flashback maps if someone bought the game used. This is a great idea! Make the new game worth something so people are at least a little less likely to buy used, and if they do and want the content, then they still pay for it. Kudos to the person who thought up that idea, this is a good business practice that really does not hurt the gamers. If you buy the game used and don't want the DLC, don't buy it! Problem solved.

Now the problem I am having is what is going on with said DLC available at launch and there are two main problems. First is the fact that DLC is available at launch which isn't free with the purchase of the new game. Second is the fact that so many deals are being made with "exclusive" content that some gamers are unable to get all the content for a game unless they purchase multiple copies from multiple vendors (admittedly not on the 360 but you have to order God of War 3 from multiple vendors to get all the "skins" for Kratos).

Lets explore the second one first as it is a bit more cut and dry. Game developers are now making deals with vendors of games to give them exclusive content that is not available anywhere else and frequently is not available to purchase later as DLC. I am NOT against this in any way as long as deals are only being made with one vendor. When I bought Assassin's Creed 2 I got myself a nice extra map when I bought it at Gamestop. Now I am not aware of any other vendor who had a deal for other "extras" so this is cool. I get a benefit for buying the game on launch and I don't have to worry about someone else getting something different. Now the flip side to it is that it does suck if I did not have the ability to pre-order it and I now lose out on some extra content that I could have had. This is business and you know what, business sucks sometimes, but I don't feel the developers are trying to screw the gamer in any way with this practice, just reward those of us who purchase the game right away. If they ever start adding gamerscore or trophies for said exclusives, I will change my tune drastically. The worry is that more developers will start making MULTIPLE deals and you will be screwed out of certain things if you buy them from one location or another. At least to my knowledge there aren't any on the 360 that currently have made multiple deals.

The real problem I have with the DLC is the quality of some DLC for the price and mainly Day 1 DLC. Let me reiterate that DLC that is a bonus for buying the game new is not a bad thing, however some "free" DLC is starting to come with a time limit. Dragon Age: Origins "free" 1200 MS point DLC is only good until April 30th, 2010 - six months after the game came out. That's a new twist on the screwing the gamer if they don't buy the game new, heck if you buy it new on May 1st, 2010 you now have to shell out $15 more dollars to get content that was available on day one. Personally I thought the DLC was worth 800 MS/$10 but not more than that. That particular DLC added about 2-3 hours of quests and one playable character, not really worth the 1200 IMO. To continue to pick on Dragon Age, there was not just one but TWO different DLC available on day one. The second one cost 560 MS points and I felt was worth the price but what the hell people? I just paid $60 + tax for a brand new game and I don't get everything that was made with it? Look, DLC is supposed to be an addition to a game later on, not an "upgrade" that drives the overall price above the industry standard. So basically I paid $67 + tax for all the content on Dragon Age on day one. Sounds to me like another way for the industry to get more money out of games instead of just raising the price. Below I added a funny (albeit crude) comic pulled from Kotaku in regards to the DLC that was not free in Dragon Age.

So is this another new trend for the gaming industry to raise its prices and (remember this is an editorial) IMO screw the gamer? Maybe. Dragon Age also has had its 3rd DLC announced that will be available this holiday season. Look, I'm not against companies trying to make money, but this is ridiculous. Is the average gamer supposed to be too stupid to think that most of this content couldn't have been just, oh I don't know, PUT ON THE RETAIL DISC? Message to EA - if you want to screw us with massive amounts of DLC - at least pretend not to have had it ready at launch. Wait like 2-3 months before you release any and then make sure it is freaking good content and not overpriced!

Now all this being said I am not hating on Dragon Age, I personally loved playing the game and will probably buy the 3rd DLC (priced at a more reasonable 400 MS points) and enjoy it. However I worry that this will become more of a trend than the exception. I mean I get tired of this whole charade that these video game companies don't make any money, they make plenty and they want to make more. Companies go out of business all the time, and there are two reasons, one they are sold, or two they are using more money than they are making. Better business management people, better business management......I personally will punch in the face the president of Activision if he ever pulled up in his limo and his suit probably worth more than my car is worth and told me directly that I should pay $70 or $80 or more for a new video game because he wasn't making enough money. Business in general in the US are hurting because of the economy being in a slump but raising the prices of games will not make that better, that will just drive us more and more to purchase used. So this is the video game industries' smoke and mirror trick. Oh well we won't raise the price of the game, we will just make the game "customizeable" so you can upgrade your game to what you want it to be. What I want it to be is a complete game that is good.

If/when Assassin's Creed 2 comes out with DLC I will be ALL OVER IT. I loved the game (review to come shortly) and will rave to anyone who will listen about the production value of that game and how freaking great it is. Hell the whole time in the game I saw them getting you ready for another sequel and still didn't care. I can already see a few points where they can easily insert DLC without screwing up the story line.... If a game is good, people will buy additional content. Don't diminish the value of your game by making content available from day one. I'm sure many people who have played Modern Warfare 2 will be happy to purchase DLC for the game in a few months - from what I have heard it sounds like a great game, but would you have wanted to pay oh say another 5-10 dollars for a few extra maps on day one even if you bought it new? My guess is no, you wouldn't want to.

I might have to eventually change my personal claim on completionist in the near future if too many games pick up this trend. I realize most people won't join me, but I would personally boycott any DLC (achievement points or no) that is available on day one that is not a "bonus" for buying the game new.

So the long and short of my article is a few pieces of advice to any developer who will probably never read this:

Please don't treat us gamers like we are stupid.
Make a good game and we will shower you with money for additional content, but that content sure as hell better not have been ready to put on the retail disc.
Make the DLC worth it, don't just put crap out there, or overcharge for decent DLC.
Don't let the president from Activision talk about anything money related when he has more money than most of us will ever see in a lifetime.

All right folks, that's my rant for now. Feel free to post in here any comments about how you feel about DLC in general, or just post and tell me I'm a nut. :D
Re: Digital Distribution Pt 2: The DLC Dilemma
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Sociable
Sociable

Well said Oger! We gamers have to make a stand, I for one did not pay for the DragonAge DLC and am very happy with my decision. Day one DLC is bogus, no matter if they say a separate development team with a separate budget made the DLC, it doesn't fucking matter- we have to take a stand.

Deleted User

Deleted User

Deleted User

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Waffle Philanthropist
Waffle Philanthropist

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Nice rant Mini. DLC is only great when its for a game I love. The only DLC I have bought and not regretted was Fallout 3, the rest were just to complete the game....again.
Re: Re: Digital Distribution Pt 2: The DLC Dilemma
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Quote by Nemesis Mask:

Well said Oger! We gamers have to make a stand, I for one did not pay for the DragonAge DLC and am very happy with my decision. Day one DLC is bogus, no matter if they say a separate development team with a separate budget made the DLC, it doesn't fucking matter- we have to take a stand.

Take a stand against what? DLC in general? Should they sit on the DLC for 2 months before they release it? The bottom line is that I buy DLC for games that I like and the time frame is of little concern to me. The sooner the better, because I don't play one particular type of game. In fact I play so many different types of games, that if it tkes too long for DLC, I almost forget how to play certain games! lol

I just think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. If you don't like the game, dont buy it, but don't make it out to seem that the reason you won't buy the DLC is because it was released on launch day.

I can see both sides of the coin here, but in 3 months, either you bought it or you didn't. Who cares when it was?
Re: Re: Re: Digital Distribution Pt 2: The DLC Dilemma
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

Sociable
Sociable

Quote by theevol1:

Quote by Nemesis Mask:

Take a stand against what? DLC in general? Should they sit on the DLC for 2 months before they release it? The bottom line is that I buy DLC for games that I like and the time frame is of little concern to me. The sooner the better, because I don't play one particular type of game. In fact I play so many different types of games, that if it tkes too long for DLC, I almost forget how to play certain games! lol

I just think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. If you don't like the game, dont buy it, but don't make it out to seem that the reason you won't buy the DLC is because it was released on launch day.

I can see both sides of the coin here, but in 3 months, either you bought it or you didn't. Who cares when it was?

The reason I care about the timing of the DLC releases is because for instance, if a DLC comes out on day 1 of the games release then it SHOULD OF BEEN ON THE DISC.

There is NO reason it is not on the disc except for cashgrabs by companies nickel and diming us for stuff that we would should not have to pay for.... at a recent gaming conference (EA's I think) there was talks amongst the suits of ways to start charging money for online modes in some of their games...

If we don't "take a stand" then we will let them walk all over us. I only get the DLC on games I love and dont care about the achievements as I am not a completionist.
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

If it is on the disc, then everyone is complaining about why it was delayed for 6 more months.

Believe me, there are always going to be things to complain about. If this get resolved, it will present more problems; different problems. Why didn't Fallout 3 just get delayed for an extra year to get all of the DLC on the disc? Would you then "take a stand" against companies delaying titles to make sure that everything is squeezed out on the disc?

I don't want to attack, I just think that there is no stand that gamers can take that will change the trend of digital distribution. A few gamers not buying the DLC for Dragon Age is not going to be the end of a lucrative era. I can't tell anyone how to feel about it, but it's the way it is going to be.
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

Sociable
Sociable

I realize my own personal boycott is futile but it helps me sleep at night :)
Re: Re: Digital Distribution Pt 2: The DLC Dilemma
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Quote by Nemesis Mask:

I realize my own personal boycott is futile but it helps me sleep at night :)

LOL

Well stay strong sir! I remember thinking that Shivering Isles was awful expensive for DLC! I'm glad that I decided to buy that! Sure, it's larger than most retail games, but still...

BTW I forgot to say good job Oger! It's nice to see you getting back to writing full articles again!
Re: Re: Re: Digital Distribution Pt 2: The DLC Dilemma
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

This is a staff member of Xbox America

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

Xbox America Benefactor
Xbox America Benefactor

This user has donated $50+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

3 Year Login Streak
3 Year Login Streak

This user has logged in to Xbox America every day for the past three years.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Head of State
Head of State

This user has one of the highest gamerscores in his or her region.

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Waffle Philanthropist
Waffle Philanthropist

Barterer
Barterer

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

Marketer
Marketer

This user has referred five users to Xbox America.

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

This user mentioned Xbox America in his Xbox Live biography.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Quote by theevol1:

I agree with you here, but I do have one question....if two different DLCs are available on day one, how long exactly would production have been delayed to give gamers those DLC on the disc.....and if it is a production delay issue shouldn't those DLCs be free, and not drive up the overall cost of the game? Games get delayed all the time (ask me how long I've been waiting for FFXIII) personally I feel if the developer delays a game to make it better/add content, I will gladly wait months for a better overall game.

It just seems like another way to squeeze a few extra bucks out of gamers. I am more than happy to pay for DLC for games I like (as long as the DLC is not overpriced) - but hey everyone isn't me and I like having other opinions....getting people talking is the point of editorials :)

Quote by theevol1:

BTW I forgot to say good job Oger! It's nice to see you getting back to writing full articles again!

And thanks! I've been holding this one in for a couple weeks after playing Dragon Age...lol

Anyone else find the comic amusing? I LOLed quite a bit at that one, because that totally was me......screw you and your DLC!!! (but where do I pay?)
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Well, like I had said, I can see both sides. I never meant to become the champion of DLC and/or Price gouging. I try to be as frugal as anyone! I just know that our hobby is someone else's means, and nobody is going out of their way to bankrupt themselves to offer enjoyment to the masses. If another company worked on the DLC, they need their slice of the pie. Right or wrong, we chose an expensive hobby!

Also, I lol't at the comic! True is funny! ;)
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

not exactly sure how i feel about this...

on one hand, it seems shady what they did with dragon age. the content was already available on day 1, so yeah, i can see people complaining about it not being released on the disc. where do companies draw the line with content? we made this game, but we made it a little too big. let's just make this part DLC! lol wut...

on the other hand, nobody had to buy it. it's extra content. if you want to complete your games, you buy your DLC at some point anyway. but i do agree that they should have waited and at least made it seem like it wasn't available right away. that was a stupid move in my opinion.

i suppose sooner is better than later though. it really, really bothers me when games come out with DLC over a year later. i'm looking at you mass effect.

Deleted User

1 10058
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.