Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Options:
Archived: Article: Hands-on: NyKo's 360 Charge Station

Posted Under: Articles
Article: Hands-on: NyKo's 360 Charge Station
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

When I was at E3 back in July, I had a chance to get an early review of the new 360 Charge Base that is manufactured by NyKo. While I was able to play around with it, get a feel for how well it was made, and determine how good it was in the span of roughly twenty minutes, I wanted to actually be able to use it in my own home. After all, you can only do so much with a peripheral without actually having access to a console to really see how the unit works. Luckily, I have been able to get my hands on a unit of my own and really go in depth on it.

The unit itself is different from NyKos previous designs, such as the Charge Station, which you actually have to remove the battery from the controller and lock it into place. While that version worked well, NyKo realized that eliminating the need to unplug the battery is something that consumers would appreciate in order to cut down on time. The Charge Base does just that by providing batteries that have connectors in order to simply lock the controller into place on the charging station itself.

The charging base itself is a little longer than two 360 controllers next to each other, roughly about a foot long. The slots are angled to allow you to easily dock the controllers into place, providing support for the controllers while the batteries recharge. On the front of the unit are two lights, laid out horizontally. When a controller is charging, the light it corresponds to will light up red. It will stay that way until it is fully charged, changing the light to green for a short period of time before actually shutting off completely to conserve power. Charging time, Ive found, is never longer than thirty minutes, although this varies depending on how long your gaming session is.

The replacement batteries that are provided in the charge station, as previously stated, have three connectors on it in order to lock into place on the base itself. The batteries can hold a charge of up to 25 hours, providing ample power for any long session of gaming. A little downside, however, is the fact that the batteries sometimes dont fit in properly without a little force. While the first-party Microsoft batteries slide in easily, I did find that the NyKo battery has a slightly different design and, thus, it can be a little difficult to get the battery to lock into place on the back of the controller. Granted, once its in there the first time, it seems to get easier to remove the battery and put it back into the controller. This is a minor con, but it is a little annoying.

All in all, I like what the Charge Base has to offer. It retails for around $34.99 and will provide you with a very solid choice when it comes to recharging more than one controller. This is a unit worth picking up if you are looking for a better option than your usual choices.

Rating: 9.0/10.0 (Excellent)

Re: Article: Hands-on: NyKo's 360 Charge Station
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Benefactor
Xbox America Benefactor

This user has donated $50+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Community Player
Community Player

This gamer participated in Xbox America's Xbox.com Community Playdate.

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

This user has participated in a Xbox America beta test.

I have seen this unit and I'm sorry but it looks like a step backwards to me. Changing the recargable battery pack takes all of 2 seconds and having my controler right there on the coffee table when I get home is a must. I have the charge station and it sits on a little ledge near my 360 but out of the way. I have four battery packs so there is always two fully charged. Having my controlers across the room and having to put it back every night seems like more work than it needs to be, plus taking up space. What would happen is I would just end up with a dead controler. I like Nyco and I'm sure it is well made and might be perfect for someone, but just not me.
Re: Article: Hands-on: NyKo's 360 Charge Station
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

This user mentioned Xbox America in his Xbox Live biography.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

yea it sounds cool but i just keep a supply (about 30) of rechargeable aa batteries and 3 chargers so i never run out of power! the 2200 MaH batteries last about 30-40 hours so there good for a few days of gaming...:p

Deleted User

1 6023
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.