Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Options:
Archived: 0 Day Attack on Earth - Review

Posted Under: Articles
0 Day Attack on Earth - Review
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

This user has won three or more gamerscore competitions.

Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

This is a staff member of Xbox America

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Benefactor
Xbox America Benefactor

This user has donated $50+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 150,000 or higher.

3 Year Login Streak
3 Year Login Streak

This user has logged in to Xbox America every day for the past three years.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Head of State
Head of State

This user has one of the highest gamerscores in his or her region.

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Waffle Philanthropist
Waffle Philanthropist

This user has donated three or more games to the Waffle Order thread.

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Marketer
Marketer

This user has referred five users to Xbox America.

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

This user mentioned Xbox America in his Xbox Live biography.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Aliens have landed and you have to kill them before they destroy the Earth! Most shooter games seem to have this simple formula - have evil aliens and a sinister plot to destroy humans and you fly around in some sort of aircraft shooting them down to save humanity. 0 Day Attack on Earth sticks to this formula.

0 Day Attack on Earth runs you through 21 levels of alien destruction in this top down, dual joystick shooter. The controls are simple enough, move your aircraft with one stick, shoot with the other. The left and right bumpers respectively control a boost function and a bomb attack which will clear out most smaller enemies around you and do a decent amount of damage to the larger enemies. Aircraft selection is limited to four different types at the start, but unfortunately it appears the other aircraft that are unlocked are just variations of these originals, no new weapons or features are obtained.

One of the interesting aspects of the game was the backdrop that you were flying over. Each city looked very real as you were destroying the aliens above it, and some skyscrapers were so tall you actually had to fly around them. As beautiful as these were, nothing you did ever damaged them in any way, aliens popping up through the ground did nothing after they were destroyed, and even unleashing a devastating bomb near one of the aforementioned skyscrapers didn’t even leave a scratch on it.

In single player mode you get the joy of facing off against the hoards of aliens with 3 AI controlled “friends.” I use this term loosely as they seem more interested in flying around shooting at nothing than helping you take down the alien menace. If one of the dreaded “mosquito” enemies happen to latch on to you, its almost a guaranteed death as you have to position yourself in front of your AI friends hoping they will actually shoot it off before it drains your life completely.

AI aside, the single player mode was entertaining if a bit short. Your goal is to destroy one or more primary alien types which will end the current level, get through six of these levels (days 1-6) and on day 7 you will have the joy of destroying a “boss” alien, which frequently was easier than fighting off the insane amounts of enemies on the sixth day. This pattern is repeated three times with different enemies - you fight for seven days over Tokyo, New York and Paris.

Co-op mode could be very entertaining or a nightmare depending on whom you were playing with and how many people joined the co-op madness. Co-op story was fun, though having four players could be a bit distracting, and as much as I hated my AI “friends,” sometimes they were more helpful than other players. My suggestion is that co-op story should be enjoyed with real friends and not random players over Xbox Live who only seem interested in obtaining 100 kills for an achievement.

The two other modes available online were a Capture the Flag mode and a mode in which the main goal is to control different territories. I had limited experience with either of these modes as it seemed no one was online playing when I was around. What I did experience was decent, but with almost no one playing it was hard to stay interested when I would wait for 15 minutes for one random person to hop into my lobby.

0 Day Attack on Earth was a decent game, however whether due to its higher starting price of 1200 MS points, or the fact that it didn’t really define itself as unique from other shooter type games, the online community is fairly dead. Limiting your playing experience to single player which has limited replay value, or hoping your friends will pick up this game to give you a good Co-op experience. Price notwithstanding, bottom line is 5.5/10.

Now for those achievement whores/completionists out there here is the skinny. This game is an extremely difficult completion. There is an achievement for completing single player mode on normal difficulty or higher with ONE life. Although this is obtainable, each alien has a pattern it follows and you do regain health and bombs between stages, this will take you some time and practice to earn. Many of the other achievements do take some time such as destroying 100 enemies in Co-op (better bring a friend), and a couple of the secret ones like obtaining all ranks or being shot down 256 times. With the exception of completing the game in one life, none are too hard, just time consuming. So unfortunately this game would get the thumbs down on both easy achievements and being an easy completion. Consider yourself warned.
Re: 0 Day Attack on Earth - Review
Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

This is a staff member of Xbox America

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Benefactor
Xbox America Benefactor

This user has donated $50+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 150,000 or higher.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Waffle Philanthropist
Waffle Philanthropist

This user has donated three or more games to the Waffle Order thread.

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Marketer
Marketer

This user has referred five users to Xbox America.

Master Marketer
Master Marketer

This user has referred ten users to Xbox America.

Representin'
Representin'

This user has given Xbox America some love in his Xbox Live motto.

It Defines Me
It Defines Me

This user mentioned Xbox America in his Xbox Live biography.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Community Player
Community Player

This gamer participated in Xbox America's Xbox.com Community Playdate.

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

This user has participated in a Xbox America beta test.

Great review, and from the trial I definitely agree with all the points you made.

For 400 points I'd have grabbed it right away just to have fun with friends later, but for 1200 I expected a meatier offering from Square Enix.
1 11131
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.