Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Should You Still F.E.A.R Alma? - F.E.A.R 3 Review

Game Review | June 22, 2011 10:40 pm

The oft delayed sequel to 2009's FEAR 2: Project Origin finally hit shelves this past week. Marrying the frenzied action of FEAR with Steve Niles, who provided the story for the games, and John Carpenter overseeing the cutscenes; it would seem a recipe for sure-fire success. But Day One Studios sacrificed the intensity and intimacy of the scares to bring Co-Op to the series. Never face FEAR alone was the mantra for the marketing push. You really could face fear alone though, as the scares have been dropped to a minimum; transforming what looked like a promising sequel into something that plays like a horror themed Call of Duty.

FEAR 3's strongest point is the cooperative campaign gameplay, pairing the mute Point Man with his dead, cannibalistic, psychic brother Paxton Fettel. The dynamic duo, with Point Man's Slow-Mo ability and Fettel's ability to possess enemies, are the ultimate co-op pairing. Their skill sets are complementary, yet it is much more fun to play as Paxton Fettel, and you will more than likely squabble with your buddy over who gets to be who. The novelty of possessing your enemies, however, wears out quickly; as Point Man will be better than Fettel in 90% of the firefights you find yourself in. And there are a lot of firefights in the game. Day One Studios cranked the action up tenfold, aided further by the return of the talkative, aggressive AI from the first. Speaking of which...

He likes long walks through bloody trains. And possessing you and making you explode into bloody chunks.

The AI is another one of FEAR 3's strong points. The FEAR series has long prided itself for delivering AI that is aggressive, and that will work together to flank and annihilate the player. In the first FEAR, the unrelenting AI on higher difficulties proved to be a serious challenge for Shooter Veterans. FEAR 2's AI left a lot to be desired, relying on set paths and tactics. While the AI in FEAR 3 hides behind cover frequently, they will find you. They will kill you. On the higher difficulties in FEAR 3, the AI will distract you while others find routes to flank you. As you fight the AI, who were surprisingly quiet in FEAR 2, you'll learn what they are doing by listening. Enemies react to their allies getting shot, like one instance where they call for a tourniquet (when I blew one of their comrade's arms off with a shotgun). Other highlights of the talkative AI include, "Shit shit."; "Shit fuck."; "You've got to be shitting me." While not on the level of Splinter Cell Conviction's AI, the dialogue can get annoying in prolonged firefights, where you will hide behind cover and curse the shouting from behind your crate.

Cover in first person shooters has always been difficult to execute. FEAR 3 took the cover scheme of Gears of War (press a button to "stick" to cover) and made it work for first person. Surprisingly well, to be honest. Moving around your little crate or block is easy, while peeking up or around to shoot isn't a hassle in the slightest. The only hassle can be unsticking yourself from cover, or mantling over it. Only occasionally. The rest of the gameplay mechanics will pander to fans of Call of Duty and pretty much every other shooter out there. FEAR 3 essentially took the horror that the FEAR franchise was unique for a stripped it away in favour of co-op.

I mentioned earlier that the scares were lacking. With Steve Niles writing the story, I expected more in the way of subtle or atmospheric scares. What FEAR 3 rewards you with are campy, go-bump-in-the-night scares. If you are scared by things that growl and jump at you, avert your eyes. If not, you will find FEAR 3 to be surprisingly not scary. Something that is terribly wrong for a game based on a horror experience. Story wise, the game takes an interesting turn. Alma is no longer an antagonist, sure she'll pop up, but she doesn't go out to harm the player. The Creep is the enemy, appearing far more often that Alma and generally being annoying as hell.

This is the creep. He's a weirdo. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?

While we are introduced to some familiar faces, the story really doesn't go anywhere. You're really just getting from point A to B, dragging until the very last level of the game, and the final cutscene. It can be entertaining, but someone looking for a "rich and fulfilling" narrative need look elsewhere. FEAR 3 unfolds as an popcorn action-y horror flick. Suitable for John Carpenter, whose cutscenes are directed well; yet take an entirely different look at the brothers.

But enough of the single player, surely you all came to read this review for the multiplayer, right? FEAR 3 comes packaged with four modes, two of which are only available if you are a first time purchaser of the game. However, FEAR 3's game modes are not the typical shooter fanfare. There is no straight up death match. Instead you have Contractions, Fucking Run, Soul King, and Soul Survivor.

I want to be inside you.

Soul King is an interesting take on a collection gametype, where you start off as a Wraith. You get points by possessing the AI enemies and kill others, collecting their souls. It can be quite hectic with a full game of people going, but this is one of the weaker modes in FEAR 3. Aside from the AI surrounding you, fighting your fellow human players turns every round into a royal clusterfuck. Which may or may not be a bad thing, whatever floats your boat ;).

Soul Survivor is much like Infection from Halo. One person starts off as a Wraith, while the others work together to kill AI enemies. The Wraith can possess and inhabit AI enemies. When the Wraith kills a human player, he joins their ranks. This continues until there is one man standing, or until time runs out. An interesting mode for sure, but the maps to play it on are rather lacking.

Fist Pump to Revive.

Contractions is a Horde mode, like Nazi Zombies. Repair barriers between waves, collect crates and bring them back to your "base" to unlock weapons. You and your teammates must survive each wave of Alma's minions. This is personally one of my favourite modes. However, communication is key. If there is a weak link in the chain that is your team, you will likely fail. While everything seems straight forward, collecting crates to get more weapons and restock pushes you into the fog (which obscures your vision and allows enemies to sneak up on you). Another wrench in the mix is Alma. You will encounter her more than once, finding her skipping around or staring menacingly at you. If you shoot her, she will scream and your screen will go black. You will recover to find yourself elsewhere, possibly surrounded by enemies. Yay.

The final mode is the aptly titled Fucking Run. Here, you yet again work with three other people against the game's AI. Who are literally thrown at you by the dump truck full. Seriously. There are a lot of enemies. You know what's great? When we throw a giant frickin' wall behind you that will violently murder you if it touches you. Oh, and if one of you die, the whole game is over. Yet another mode where crappy teammates will not get you far. By far, this is the best mode in FEAR 3. You'll have to think creatively in some firefights. Or better yet, just fucking run.

Wall o' Death. Note the rather unhappy faces.

The map offering for FEAR 3 is rather sparse, leading me to think DLC is on the cards in the very near future. Overall FEAR 3 is not the strongest of sequels, or games for that matter. But with co-operative game play and challenges for each mission that will earn you points to "rank up", there is some replay value. Achievement hunters can breathe easy, as most of the list is quite easy. One of the main ones that will be a struggle is the Game Completed on Insanity achievement. Insanity is a very wise choice of name for the difficulty. All in all, giving FEAR 3 a 7 out of 10 for the reasons outlined above. A FEAR title in name, but not in spirit; yet a fun shooter to play for several hours. Nothing worth spending sixty to seventy dollars on, but something to keep an eye out for once it hits bargain bins.

- Aldemar

Rating: 7.0 of 10
Reviewed: F.E.A.R. 3
Keywords: f3ar; fear 3; day 1 studios; wb games; review

Options:
Archived: Article Discussion: Should You Still F.E.A.R Alma? - F.E.A.R 3 Review

Posted Under: Articles

Deleted User

Deleted User

Deleted User

Re: Should You Still F.E.A.R Alma? - F.E.A.R 3 Review
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 150,000 or higher.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Head of State
Head of State

This user has one of the highest gamerscores in his or her region.

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

I'd give the game about an 8.5 just for the shear fun I had playing the whole game coop with Junior, the game is VERY short though, we beat it in about 4 hours our first playthrough and we were taking our time in a few places and looking for the dolls whenever possible. Achieves aren't too bad, got 400 and something points without trying and just playing and then boosting a few of the multiplayer ones for an hour, if you like the first 2 FEARs you should know what to expect, some good scares and pretty solid gameplay. The guns handle really well in the game and the coop techniques and challenges add a good dynamic to the game.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Solid review Aldemar, Lou's telling me right now how much he loves the game.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

This user has performed some sort of miscellaneous service for Xbox America that deserves to be recognized.

Pretty good review.

I agree with Circus. Game is sheer fun when playing with buddies and I would also give it an 8.5. If you have no one to play with, then I totally agree with Aldemars rating of 7. lol.

Insane, is pretty tough so far, and sometimes, you wish the checkpoints were a little more often. However, it seems Fettel really shines in the Higher Difficulties, mainly because he basicly has two life bars, if your able to possess and maintain.

I think the best levels for scares, are level 3 and 4. The rest were kind of expecting, some made you jump, but those levels, made you suck the oxygen out of the room. Level 4 for sure kept my adrenaline pumping like crazy!

I would say this beats Fear 2 easily as a sequel. However, I think Fear 1, holds the title still.

Cant wait for DLC or a sequel to the story, as I am anxious what is to happen next!

Gabriel

Deleted User

Deleted User

Deleted User

Competition Pro
Competition Pro

This user has won three or more gamerscore competitions.

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

This user has performed some sort of miscellaneous service for Xbox America that deserves to be recognized.

cool review good heads up to stay away from this game.
Re: Re: Re: Should You Still F.E.A.R Alma? - F.E.A.R 3 Review
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Head of State
Head of State

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Quote by Lou:

Quote by Junior Mint Daddy:

I would say this beats Fear 2 easily as a sequel.

No fucken way!!! This game is complete garbage. I love FEAR with all of my heart and It's one of my favorite series, but this game fucken sucks. It's nothing like the original FEAR. You can't even compare it with FEAR Files or FEAR 2. They changed so many things and fucked this game up. I don't even want to finish this piece of shit.

Monolith is only 30 minutes from where I live. I'm thinking about driving there and blowing up the whole damn building. Fuck you Monolith!

Lmao, well what are your gripes with the game good sir? I personally think the guns handle great and the coop is a blast, but I do think the story is way too short which is really my only major complaint with the game, oh and the fact that it doesn't tell you which level you missed the Alma dolls on...:mad:

Deleted User

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should You Still F.E.A.R Alma? - F.E.A.R 3 Review
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Head of State
Head of State

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Quote by Aldemar:

Quote by Circus:

Lmao, well what are your gripes with the game good sir? I personally think the guns handle great and the coop is a blast, but I do think the story is way too short which is really my only major complaint with the game, oh and the fact that it doesn't tell you which level you missed the Alma dolls on...:mad:

Or much about what you've done in the level at all.

Yea it needs to be a permanent requirement that every game has a progress bar or complete stat tracker or an achievement tracker that pops up and helps you out, it's 2011, get with the program people, this isn't the Atari days...

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Huh interesting review! i thought the rating would be a little better but oh well.
1 15332
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.