Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 XBA Review

Game Review | February 24, 2011 10:01 am

[Editor Note] First review since my return, bare with me as i forgot basically all of the fundamentals to a review xD

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is the "successor" to its previous title Mavrel vs. Capcom 3, after a decade of waiting it is finally here however did it live up to everyone's expectations ?

In the fighting game its always about kicking the other opponents butt, usually its in a 1 on 1 match however MvC3 continues to bring us the 3v3 format. In the midst of battle you can call out your other teammates to help you in the battle. Compared to its previous game you can now use these assist to continue combos also known as Off The Ground (OTG) combos. The assists aren’t as "mash friendly" as before but there are still some pretty B.S assist that Capcom REALLY shouldn't have added in.

A new feature in the game is known as X-Factor which can increase the strength and speed of your characters by a certain amount depending on the amount of characters you have left on your team. X-Factor makes for a great cancel to make longer combos or deal more damage to an opponent’s assist who got hit in the crossfire when he was called out. X-Factor also makes for a great way to make comebacks when you’re down to your last characters.

Military Gun's are nothing compared to the fire arms of STARS

The selection of characters isn't that huge opposed to its previous title, is this good or bad ? Let’s see. First off in MvC2 though we did have like 50+ characters to choose from only like 5 - 6 of those characters were ever used in the tournament scene, so no complaints about the reduced character's. Now we only have 36 characters to choose from 4 of which you must unlock through Player Points (PP) which i believe is a stupid idea to make unlockables. There is also DLC characters coming out on March 15th that ARE ALREADY ON THE DISC, and it’s so stupid Capcom is pulling this because

A. In tournament scenes when people must bring their own set ups to play, some of time some players will bring consoles that they never played the game on resulting in the lack of 4 characters and then any DLC the game released.

B. Why should we have to pay for something if it’s already done and on the disc, is 60 dollars not enough for you guys?

(DLC Costumes Coming Soon : Capcom always delivers the craziest references)

As far as the actual selections go, i have some likes and dislikes. Having Akuma AND Ryu in the same game is honestly just a waste of a character; this isn't Super Street Fighter 4 we don’t want characters that play the same. Some character selections seem to out of the place such as Arthur, Spencer and M.O.D.O.K. Arthur is a classic character but he does not seem fitting in a fighting game such as this, Bionic Commando did pretty bad so i don’t see why they choose to put him in the game in place of highly wanted characters such as Megaman, Frank West and Phoenix Wright. M.O.D.O.K is just weird period.

Character balancing is still all out of whack. It is still too early to determine the tier list however its easy to see that characters such as Sentinel is too overpowered and overused online, combined with level 3 X-factor it makes me wonder if Capcom is just trying to troll us.

Arcade Mode consists of 6 regular fights and a final fight against Galactus who can be quite the challenge depending on the difficult you have the game set on. A cool thing about Training mode that hasn't been seen in any other fighter is the ability to train under lag, there are settings you can turn on where you can play under different forms of lag for horrible connections online, most pro players probably won't need this since they all play local sessions where lag is nonexistent however its nice to know Capcom was thinking of the online gamers as well. Mission mode is your generic mode with various combo missions assigned to each character that you must complete; this helps to give you ideas for combos with your characters not to frustrate you.

Deadpool knows he likes it

Online mode is full of failures, Ranked Matches are rare because you are always given "Failure to Join Game" or "Lost Connection to Host" messages, Capcom is working on this and hopefully will be resolves soon. One of the best things about player match lobbies now is being able to watch the two current opponents battling it out through spectator mode, why capcom took it out is beyond me, instead we get health bars and humping license cards, thanks Capcom ....

Achievement wise the game is a pretty easy 1000, the game's only real challenge is to complete 320 Mission's in mission mode which isn’t so bad as well. Compared to the Mission modes of Blazblue: Continuum Shift and Super Street Fighter 4, Marvel Vs Capcom is quite doable. The road 1000 will be long because of the amount of times you have to beat Arcade mode but if you are looking for easy points you will have no second thoughts in your mind about it.

You can view the achievement guide for the game here made by yours truly: Marvel vs Capcom 3 Achievement Guide (LeadExample)

Overall the game is fun, there’s a lot of replay value. Online failures can be fixed with patches and updates (RIGHT CAPCOM ! ... *glare*). DLC characters that’s already on the game is B.S but it's Capcom, what do you expect in this economy? I would like to give the game a 7/10 ... only because of those online failures.

Rating: 7.0 of 10
Reviewed: MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3
Keywords: Fighting; review

Options:
Archived: Article Discussion: Marvel vs. Capcom 3 XBA Review

Posted Under: Articles
Re: Marvel vs. Capcom 3 XBA Review
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

This user has won three or more gamerscore competitions.

Xbox America Staff
Xbox America Staff

This is a staff member of Xbox America

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 150,000 or higher.

3 Year Login Streak
3 Year Login Streak

This user has logged in to Xbox America every day for the past three years.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Waffle Philanthropist
Waffle Philanthropist

This user has donated three or more games to the Waffle Order thread.

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Marketer
Marketer

This user has referred five users to Xbox America.

Master Marketer
Master Marketer

This user has referred ten users to Xbox America.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Community Player
Community Player

This gamer participated in Xbox America's Xbox.com Community Playdate.

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

This user has performed some sort of miscellaneous service for Xbox America that deserves to be recognized.

Wow, no one commented on this? I will, great review Setsu, I'm not a fan of fighting games and I think the last one I played was Marvel Vs DCU. I would, however, play it if I got it in the waffle order or borrowed it from a friend!
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

This user has performed some sort of miscellaneous service for Xbox America that deserves to be recognized.

ok review but IMO your opinion on the characters sucks. akuma and FYI play definitely, have different health and damage. as well as the fact that sentinel is easier to beat and more punishable this game. Arthur is definitely going to be a higher tier character due to his projectile spams + assist into combos.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Thanks AJ its been a while since i did reviews. Ill be on a review hiatus again until FFXIII-2 xD

I know the technical differences between Akuma and Ryu but i still think they should have stuck with just one shoto in the game. Sentinel is annoying period, all i see online are people spamming Sentinels Down H and whatever Assist they have, once we get close he'll for the for the Launcher which has too much freaking range. Maybe other players dont have a problem with him but my teams all close combat so i get VERY salty when i get zoned by Sentinel and a Doctor Doom Hidden rockets assist. Arthur i know is going to be pretty high tier if used correctly, but he just doesn't seem fitting for the whole "Fate of Two Worlds" thing.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

I kinda miss having all the characters...even if they did play the same
Sentinel's move is bullshit
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

I'd like to pick this up but the online competition is kind of putting me off. I don't want to get a game where I'll get my salade tossed severly! Soul Calibur is the only fighting game I'm confident in.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

I think your review is untruthful with the DLC characters being on disc. Sure the characters themselves are on the disc, but they are virtually UNPLAYABLE, and lack voice overs, balancing and so on. Perhaps getting your facts straight on that instance, would make this review awesome.

Also Ryu and Akuma, play TOTALLY DIFFERENT and are really unlike one another. Sure they have Hadokens and all but they fire off differently, look differently, and damage differently.

I can agree with the assists being B.S. as well as Sentinal being a douche bag, and even the online mode sucking pretty badly (why they strayed away from SSF4 is beyond me in this area) but everything else in your review just doesn't seem correct in my book.

Unlockable characters being an issue for you as well, is just plain stupid. If someone is hosting a tournament, I would require everyone to either have all characters unlocked or to start on a clean slate with ZERO unlocks...Duh.

This game isn't an easy 1000 either, especially with having people not willing to share the fame in the 1st Lord position, good luck with that achieve. If you actually leveled up to 1st Lord, then congrats on wasting your life away for over 900+ matches played online.

Thanks for the effort on the review, but at least get your info 100% correct next time...
Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Head of State
Head of State

This user has one of the highest gamerscores in his or her region.

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

I'd prolly give the game an 8/10 and I don't really play many fighters. I think this game is a tad more fun than SSF4 BUT I have no idea why they didn't keep the online the EXACT same set up as SSF4, had they kept the online better and a little bit better of a character selection I'd easily give it a 9 or 9.5, but the online blows so 8 from me.
Re: Re: Marvel vs. Capcom 3 XBA Review
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Quote by Junior Mint Daddy:

I think your review is untruthful with the DLC characters being on disc. Sure the characters themselves are on the disc, but they are virtually UNPLAYABLE, and lack voice overs, balancing and so on. Perhaps getting your facts straight on that instance, would make this review awesome.

Also Ryu and Akuma, play TOTALLY DIFFERENT and are really unlike one another. Sure they have Hadokens and all but they fire off differently, look differently, and damage differently.

I can agree with the assists being B.S. as well as Sentinal being a douche bag, and even the online mode sucking pretty badly (why they strayed away from SSF4 is beyond me in this area) but everything else in your review just doesn't seem correct in my book.

Unlockable characters being an issue for you as well, is just plain stupid. If someone is hosting a tournament, I would require everyone to either have all characters unlocked or to start on a clean slate with ZERO unlocks...Duh.

This game isn't an easy 1000 either, especially with having people not willing to share the fame in the 1st Lord position, good luck with that achieve. If you actually leveled up to 1st Lord, then congrats on wasting your life away for over 900+ matches played online.

Thanks for the effort on the review, but at least get your info 100% correct next time...

LAWL, you know theres people who dug into the actual game disc and are playing just fine with them right now. With voice overs and from the looks of it they are clearly playable. and lol at balancing in an MvC game.

Shuma-Gorath

Jill Valentine

Yeah we all know that, im just saying two shotos is a little much especially with a larger cast of Capcom characters they could have selected in his place.

The unlocks arent a problem, its the future DLC characters. If someone starts maining a DLC character dont you think it would be unfair to not let him use them in the tournament after hours and hours of training, yes it would.

Maybe i worded that last part wrong, but opposed to other fighting games with Missions/Trails/Challenges whatever ... it kinda is. And yes there is already someone letting people play matches off him for the achievement, he did for a whole group of my friends ... not everyone in the world is full of douchebags you know.

Bro, i only really play fighters now, i think i know what im talking about here.

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Whoa Mint waaaaaay to stuff the entire lower half of your body into your mouth. :laugh:
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

Quote by Junior Mint Daddy:

lol way to try and call someone out on not having the facts and make yourself look like a complete tool instead.

1 14707
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.