Home Login Sign Up Forums News Articles Leaderboards Members Search
Welcome! Sign up to remove the advertisements.

Options:
Archived: GLG Review: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Posted Under: Articles
GLG Review: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 25,000 or higher.

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 50,000 or higher.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

This user created a thread which attracted 150 or more replies.

Sociable
Sociable

This user introduced himself or herself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

Here is the Offical Green Light Gamer (http://greenlightgamer.wordpress.com/) Review of MUA2

Graphics

The original MUA (Marvel: Ultimate Alliance) had very little going for it in the graphics department. Outside of some well done character concepts, the raw graphical quality was subpar at best. For the sequel, the improvements are noticeable, at least with the characters of the alliance. Each of the heroes and villains available are very well fleshed out with many noticeable features with their muscle tone, overall builds, costume details and thier fluidity in movement.
Now as for the environments they fight in, the same level of detail or polish was not put in. The different locales feel sadly neglected with some great places covered but not the proper amount of work into them to make them worth admiring. But nonetheless an upgrade from the orignal MUA.
Lastly, the cinematics are gorgeous with great particle effects and awesome climatic moments portrayed with the love and attention this great universe deserves.

7.5/10

Story

I am not well versed with the civil war period covered in the Marvel comics but this is the story used (with slight alterations from what I have been told) for MUA2. Due to a tragic accident that killed hundreds of civilians from a superhero/super villain clash, the American Government required the heroes to register their real identities in order to be able to use thier powers without fear of reprisal. Also they would be under law enforcement rules and able to be deployed to regions of conflict.
This causes a MAJOR rift in the superhero community and two sides prepare to do battle. The ones who side with S.H.I.E.L.D. (think of them as a universal police force) are pro-registration and are lead in battle by Iron Man. The ones who side with the anti-registration are called the White Star and led by none other than Cpt. America.
However, this ongoing “civil war” gets taken advantage of from outside forces and it is from here you see what has been really going on.
This is a very gripping tale powerfully told by accurate voice acting performances that capture the different nuances of the various characters.

9/10

Gameplay

It is sad to say this title should be called MUA 1.5 as the progress made in the other two categories greatly overshadows any of the few changes in the gameplay aspects. The same four man team hacking and slashing across the field core experience is here. The overall character list is just shy of the amount found in the first title, which I find disappointing (most notably since the Wii edition got three bonus characters one of them being a personal favorite, Psylocke.)
The customization options are lessened as now you don’t have gear you can equip for various effects, the amount of skills unlockable is about half of the ones in the original, and the individual superpowers are no longer available. Instead, they replaced these fun perks with a medal/skill system (which uses basic medals earned in battle and skills which are boostable from exp in battle) to beef up your warriors. I felt this took away some of the originality of the different characters and felt like I had less freedom and options in regards to custom tailoring my special forces.
Lastly, I lament the loss of my individual skills for the new fusion system. A lot of the fusion attacks (which utilize two character supermoves) appear very similar and dont feel very unique at all. As impressive as they look and are in battle, the 276 different combinations feel more like 4-8 actual variances in power vice appearance. Also, using a fusion attack forces your co-op partners to lose their right to use one at thier time of choosing, which you could do with the unique powers in the first one (use it freely without taking away from your partner).

5/10

Achievements

Why the F the developer dropped the ball on the co-op aspects of the achievement system in a game whose very title screams team game (Ultimate ALLIANCE) is a mystery to me. If you play local, only the host will earn all items/costumes as ONLY collectibles are retained for any other players, so spouses and friends who play in the same room will be doing multiple runs of the game for no reason. Outside of this gaping flaw, there is a lot of collectible and time consuming achievements outside of some basic beat the game ones. Still there is enough of the clear this part of the campaign chievos to make it worth a look.

5/10

Overall

This game had the potential to rip apart any other hack and slasher in the market as it has a great crew of people to use, amazing character animations, and a powerful narrative. Sadly, the lack of innovation in the gameplay along with some misguided decisions in the customization/misc. factors don’t really warrant the sixty dollar price tag.

7/10

Recommendation: Rent

Deleted User

Re: GLG Review: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

This user has won three or more gamerscore competitions.

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 100,000 or higher.

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

This user has achieved a gamerscore of 150,000 or higher.

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

This user has written over 1,000 posts. Rock on!

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

This Xbox America member has been featured in the Monthly Community Spotlight.

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

This user is a member of Xbox America's group on 360Voice.com.

Barterer
Barterer

This user has completed 3 or more game trades and is in good trading standing.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

This user used the Xbox America search bar.

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

This user has posted one of his or her official Xbox America gamercards on another website.

I never played the first one, but I'm an hour into it and I can't stand it. This game sucks. I made a huge mistake in putting this on my profile.

3/10
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

Ron Burgundy
Ron Burgundy

This user has written 10+ published Xbox America news articles.

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

This user thought of an idea for a new site feature which was later implemented.

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Miscellaneous Service
Miscellaneous Service

This user has performed some sort of miscellaneous service for Xbox America that deserves to be recognized.

I like this one far better than the first. the character models are very nice too.
Re: Re: GLG Review: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Sociable
Sociable

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

Quote by theevol1:

I never played the first one, but I'm an hour into it and I can't stand it. This game sucks. I made a huge mistake in putting this on my profile.

3/10

wow lol thats pretty harsh even by most standards ! to each thier own for sure. (which is why I thought a rental is a good idea for this one)

its similar in a lot of ways to the first's combat, and the story is MUCh better. But it could have been much better then it was sadly ;(
Competition Pro
Competition Pro

This user has won three or more gamerscore competitions.

Xbox America Friend
Xbox America Friend

This user has donated $1+ to Xbox America.

Xbox America Sponsor
Xbox America Sponsor

This user has donated $15+ to Xbox America.

Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Silver Waffle
Silver Waffle

Golden Waffle
Golden Waffle

1,000 Posts
1,000 Posts

Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight

360Voice Group
360Voice Group

Barterer
Barterer

Discussion Sparker
Discussion Sparker

Brain Stormer
Brain Stormer

Sociable
Sociable

Googler
Googler

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

At the beginning of the game, I was attacking Nick Fury because he looked like a bad guy! I guess I just don't get it.
Burnt Waffle
Burnt Waffle

Bronze Waffle
Bronze Waffle

Sociable
Sociable

Gamercard Lover
Gamercard Lover

The AI is terrible!! And the final boos? WTF? And what's with the auto leveling? I'm really disappointed
1 9430
This thread has been archived. When a thread has been inactive for an extended period of time, it becomes "archived." These threads may be viewed but may not receive new posts. If you have something to post relevant to the topic, try searching for a more recent thread or create a new thread.